Blade Tip Speed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TXLAWNBOY, Oct 17, 2003.

1. TXLAWNBOY

TXLAWNBOY LawnSite Member

I have heard that by changing a pulley to a smaller one you can increase your blade tip speed. The question is which pulley you should change and do you need to change the belt as well? Could someone please explain how to do this. The mower I want to do this to is a Cub Cadet 933R wb (same as the Troy Built 933 wide area mower wb).

Thanks

2. Ngog_Nrythrng

Ngog_Nrythrng LawnSite Member

3. TXLAWNBOY

I'm about 10 min. from the dealer. Where are you at?

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Keep in mind that going to a smaller pulley to increase BTS reduces the power available at the blade for cutting grass. In other words in fine, thin grass you wil be able to maintain BTs but once you put double blades on the mower or have to cut heavy dense grass the mower will bog down much faster. There is very little free horsepower in a mower.

5. Ngog_Nrythrng

Ngog_Nrythrng LawnSite Member

I am just north of Austin. If you go, post your experiences re: demo models; stock on hand; etc. Hard to tell over the phone if they are stocked or just talk. They should be just a few miles from CC.

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Rich,
    Very good point. I remember my old Bobcat's and Ferris's would just keep chugging through grass no matter how high it was.
    Pete

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Increasing the tip speed is really not all that important as some may make it seem. Just think, with a speed of 16,000 fpm, do we really think speeding it up and 2,000 fpm is gonna cut the grass better. However, increasing the tip speed "does" increase the vacuuming effect, which pulls the grass up straighter allowing the blade to give a better cut.
    You may want to look into a highlift blade for your machine and not worrying about speeding up the blades. FWIW, you'll need a pulley for each spindle to do what you want. Also, you want to buy a slightly smaller drive belt, so you can engage the blades correctly.
    The biggest thing you should and can do is, increase the motor rpm to 3,800. I'm sure it's in the 3,400/3,500 range. This will make a big difference, and should make you happy.

8. TXLAWNBOY

Ngog_Nrythrng
    The dealer usually tries to stay pretty well stocked but this time of year he cuts back due to overhead. The owners name is Garland, and he is in KY today to sign the paperwork to become the state-wide distributor. He plans on putting the distributorship in Hamilton where he is from/lives.

9. TXLAWNBOY

Thanks for all the imput guy's I am about to go get ready to go out w/the girlfriend. check back later.