1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blade Type Questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mo Green, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I am green to the business and have a couple of questions about mower blades that I am hoping you guys will answer for me.

1 What is the difference between regular and high lift blades? Can the high lift blades be used on any mower?

2. What are double blades? Can these be used on any mower? For what types of grass and cutting are they best suited?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  2. rico387

rico387 LawnSite Member

Low -vs- High Lift depends on the type of grass you cut. Since you are in Virginia, I will address this as a hot climate, east coast question. Low lift blades work well on bahia grass. Or any type grass that has fast growing, wirey chutes (look like peace signs).
    High lift (or throwing blades) is just that. Good for St. Augustine. They suck things off the ground surface into the cutting edges and blow them out. They have more pitch behind the cutting surface. They are good for an open deck where throwing clippings far away is preffered.
    Mulching blades are more subject to the manufactures interpretation of what should shred whatever the blade comes in contact with. Gator Blades exemplify this theory.
    Double blades are just that... two blades on one spindle in an "X" fashion. Some swear by it, some say it is B/S. As I see it, double blading gives twice the cutting surfaces. At a cost of some horsepower. In leafy areas this is a good sacrifice. In Fl. I swing single blades that are sharpened frequently for best results.
    Rick. IAFF 2294
  3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I had regular lift blades which striped fescue very well.

After switching to high lift, the cut was very good but no striping effect. Could it be because they actually lift the grass which doesn't lay the blades over?

How would the high lift blade compare to a gator?

I would be curious as to what blades anyone has found to be best for Bermuda at about 2 inches height. Most of my Bermuda is reel cut, however I do have a few that are cut with a rotary.