Blade vs Southern Speedzone

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RAlmaroad, Mar 18, 2007.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Anyone using "Blade" for their mid summer weed control? There's some presistent weeds like shepherd's purse that the simazine won't hardly phase. This stuff is really strong 1oz/acre. Would like to hear your usage views for tough weeds in warm season turf. These must be perrenial weeds with deep roots. Centipede and St. Augustine are picky turfs anyway in that they don't like 2-D. Thought about Southern Speedzone but havn't had any experience on it with centipede. Worked well on the fescue in TN but questionable on centipede. Thanks

2. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Straight dicamba would also be an alternative to a 3 way mix that was mostly 2-4,d.

3. RAlmaroad

from SC

Never seen pure dicambia--what's the commericail name? Any other suggestions. PBI Gordon makes a Speedzone St. Augustine--any experience with that. Thanks

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

From Michigan--will begin work soon ,snow is melting--I would not use straight dicamba. (Used to be available as Banvel-D). Dicamba has powerful root absorption activity. If you treat near trees, it will injure any trees by root absorption, where you use it full strength. I stay with three-way mixtures which have dicamba at low levels.

5. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

8 oz. of 4lb dicamba material will cover an acre. It may not be a wise choice if you cannot utilize a 2.5 gallon jug. Clarity is a tradename.

6. GTP

GTP LawnSite Member

I use Blade quite a bit. I deal mostly with centipede lawns and know about the limited types of herbicide that can be used. Blade performs much better than the 2-4-D products like Trimec Southern or Speedzone Southern. I started using mostly for killing bahia but found that it controls a substantial amount of the broadleafs I was spraying 2-4-D on. The kill is slower, but I think it is more complete.

7. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

blade and also manor are similar, if not the same product!

safe to use on st augustine in texas during the heat of summer, i use it mostly for virginia button weed!

8. RAlmaroad

from SC

Thanks for the experiences with both...The "Image" stuff that Lowes sells works great for both centipede and St. Augustine with the Nutsedge control. The drawback is that Hose End usage container and it only covering 6-8K at a cost of $26/container. I wish I could find "Image" in a liquid from that I could use in my tanks. Anyone know where it is available...Our Lesco here does not stock it.
    Thanks again

9. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

i've never seen blade or manor in a liquid form, it comes in a finely granulated powder like substance, easily mixed in water