Blades After 20 HOURS in Sandy Soil-look at this!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1cooltreeguy, Apr 14, 2007.

1. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

OK - I was asking about fusion blades the other day and others on the forum was saying that they only go thru one set of blades a season - WELL - here are my blades after only 20 HOURS. Tell me where I can get blades that will last longer - PLEASE:clapping: :dancing: :usflag:

P4140156.JPG

P4140157.JPG

2. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

thats one of the worst blades ive seen;)

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

uhm, I don't normally run mine through dirt, mostly grass...
    I get at least a season's use, I do scalp a bit here and there but it's accidental, and more and more I'm getting away from those crap yards that have nothing but dirt and rocks and maybe 3 dozen lone blades of weeds sticking up.

Once in 5+ years I hit a root so hard it bent one, but I've never seen new blades that worn after 20 hours of use, and I've hit concrete culverts once or twice with mine... But I sharpen mine daily so long I've cut at least 4 yards (and in the case of acre+ lots, every day regardless).
    Here's one of my oldest ones aside a new one, but this one's 4-5 years old and has at least 2 seasons use on it...
    [​IMG]

I still use it like on a crap job and only on crap jobs (and anymore I don't even want those jobs, that blade is dang thin near the fly-apart points {marked with arrows}). Once a blade doesn't have a lot of steel left, those outer ends could break off during impact and a chunk of steel go flying out the chute, I hate using these with the newer engines.

Mine are all OEM blades, I get them from J-Thomas but I'm not playing brand name games with these things, not until someone offers me one for 1/2 price.
    Are you sure yours were brand new 20 hours ago?

4. 1cooltreeguy

NO DOUBT and the guys keep on cuttin w/o letting us know - I mean Ripping the Grass. Then they will say - "UH, the mower is leaving streaks". We go thru blades like water. I just ordered 39 blades from Mowpart the other day.

5. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Don't mulch on the beach!

6. 1cooltreeguy

I swear it was 20 hours ago. The two mowers we use for the beach are on Very sandy terrain but it is on bermuda sod alot too. The most I have ever got out of the Toro z500 blades is APPX 32 hours. We also do large contracts for the county - not too sandy and we are able to keep blades on those machines 200 hours. What a difference - HUH.:cry: :dizzy:

7. 1cooltreeguy

That is crazy - 1 day cutting with those blades and There would be no black paint at all. Sandblasted.

8. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

All I have to say is wow!!! I have some blades going on 4 years old, changed every day, But obviously, in not so sandy conditions.

9. 1cooltreeguy

We did this one HOA about 6 acres and told them after 2 cuts that we were going to have to charge them a BLADE fee. They said "what is that."? I said it is to replace our ragged out blades everytime we leave here - They agreed and have been paying for 4 years - Blade Fee.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Have you tried the Scag blades in this situation....supposed to be a lot harder.