Blades/balancing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Southern Lawns, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

We talk a lot about the importance of balancing blades after we sharpen. This is how I do it and was wondering if you all do it the same way or what? I sharpen to perfection then balance. Always shaving from the back of the cutting edge so as to never mess the good (sharp) edge up. Just curious on how ya'll do it.
    Raymond

2. Magna-Matic

Magna-Matic Sponsor

We recommend that you first check if the blade is bent, to determine first if you should replace the blade.

Next sharpen the blade.

Next check the balance.

Once you have determined the heavy side/end, sharpen more material off of the cutting edge.

______

You do not want to remove material from the END of the blade, this would shorten one end of the blade causing the two tips to be at different dimensions from the center hole.

We have found this to be the most time efficient method to blade service.

It is much easier to balance after you have the sharpening done, because then you will only worry about correcting one side of the blade (the heavy side).

I hope this was of some help,

Thank you,

3. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

I have never balenced my blades. They always seem to do fine. maybe I am lucky and am taking off the same on each side. My spindles on my 94 exmark are holding up good. after seven years that speaks alot on exmark quality.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Ray,

I don't know exactly what your saying there, but if its what I think it is....NO thats not a good idea!

Always remove weight when balancing by simply sharpening more on the heavy side. The balance will change quicker when you remove material from the end of the edge rather than in towards the hole.

But taking material off the BOTTOM or BACK of the cutting edge will severely hinder its cutting performance.

Until you get a Magna-Matic balancer, you'll never realize just how far off factory blades can be! I had a set of Exmark blades with the center hole punched 1/8" off center! It wasn't fun correcting these!

5. MPhillips

MPhillips LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

I've always gotten an edge then taken material off of the end on the heavy side to balance. I think the loss of cut quality due to having a 'short' side and a 'long' side, is theoretical. I just use one of those little "teepee" balancers too...it appears to get my balance close enough for real world performance. Although I've wondered what level of accuracy is really needed.

6. Magna-Matic

Magna-Matic Sponsor

My recommendation for anyone skeptical about our balancers' cost, accuracy, quality, or practical use is to simply purchase one at our online store for $158.

Try it for 30 days. If you are unhappy with it, or do not feel that it has any benefit to you. Feel free to call us, and ask to return it. We will refund your $158 minus the shipping costs.

This way you can find out for yourself, and your only cost will be the shipping cost if you decide not to keep it.

Thank you,

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Gerd,

I do not think you'll be getting any back! This along with a dedicated blade sharpener have been my best tool purchases in quite some time!

I AM quite the Doubting Thomas. I tried it, and I like. Nuff Said!

8. Magna-Matic

Magna-Matic Sponsor

Well TLS, that is exactly why are confident in our products enough to offer such a TRIAL. How many other companies will accept USED equipment back after 30 days of USE.

We do this with all our products because we know they almost never come back. As soon as you see and use a MAGNA-MATIC product you will experience its quality and performance.

We work very hard to bring lawn care pros the absolute best service tools.

Thank you for the kind words, we do appreciate them!

9. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am a relatively new owner of both a magna-matic blade balancer and a 9000 sharpener. I am really sold on the balancer...it is very easy to use, extremely accurate, and I can feel the difference in the performance of my mowers (Walker 48" GHS, Lazer Z HP 48, and Toro 44" wb), with properly balanced blades. I would not give up the balancer for anything......well worth the money.

I am still adjusting to the sharpener. I have not been able to get anywhere near the "one minute to sharpen any blade". It does not seem to remove material as quickly as I thought it would. I use to sharpen with a 4.5" angle grinder, and could sharpen a blade pretty quickly without burning.

I still find myself using the angle grinder to remove nicks so that I can get back to a straight plane on the bottom side of the blade, and then using the 9000 to put a finishing edge on. I'm not saying I would give the 9000 up, just that I must need more experience with it........or perhaps some tips on how to use it better. The quality of the machine and the power and adjustments is excellent.

10. blairbuc

blairbuc LawnSite Member
    from CT

the last question on blade aharpening is the tip. I have heard that most of the cutting is done on the outside corner of the blade. Both tips get rounded with use. Making passes does not get this corner back to 90 deg. I hear a sharp 90 deg. (like when the blade is new) cuts the best. Any suggestions on keeping or getting an old blade tip back from that rounded corner to 90 deg.