Blades,decks And Sclapping

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by richardheyder, May 15, 2004.

1. richardheyder

richardheyder LawnSite Member

HEY JUST GOT ME A SUPER Z WITH THE 28 EFI , 60" DECK AND I ADDED A SET OF BAR TIRES, I BEEN RUNNING SCAG TIGERS FOR THE LAST 5-6 YEARS AND NOW OPERATE THREE TIGER, A DIXON AND TWO WALKBEHINDS(TORO AND JOHN DREERE) ON THREE CREWS. I DEMO THE Z AT A LOCAL CEMATARY AND WAS REALLY IMPRESS WITH THE SPEED, RESPONES,BUILT, AND SIMPLE DESIGN OF THE MOWER. I'M DEALING WITH A NEW DEALER AND HE HAS DONE A VERY GOOD JOB ON HIS END, BUT HE LACKS SOME OF THE EXPERIENCE OF AN ESTABLISHED DEALER. SO I AM COMING TO YOU FOR SOME HELP. I AM USING THE Z AS MY PERSONAL MOWER AND ARE IN NEED OF SOME HELP, I KNOW THE TIGER LIKE THE BACK OF MY HAND, AFTER YEARS OF TRAIL AND ERROR. BUT I DON'T WANT TO TAKE THE SAME ROAD THIS TIME. 1) I AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE DECK SCLAPING, AFTER GETTING THE Z MATCHED UP WITH THE TIGERS ON BLADE HIEGHT, THE BLADES DON'T HIT THE GROUND BUT I BELIEVE THE BACK OF THE DECK IS DRAGGING THE GROUND (I MOW AT 2 1/2 TO 3 1/2"). I AM HAVE TO MOW 1/2 TO 3/4" HIGHER WITH THE Z THAN THE TIGER TO KEEP IT FROM BOTTOMING OUT ON HUMPS AND RIDGES THAT I AM USE TO GOING OVER WITH THE SCAG. ANY IDEAS? 2) WHAT IN YOUR OPINION IS THE BEST ALL AROUND BLADES, MAYBE DOUBLES, FOR THIS MACHINE, I AM HAVING SOME TROUBLE WITH DECK PACKING AND GLOGGING ON MOIST GRASS ( NOT WET). I KOWN WHICH BLADES DO THE BEST ON MY OTHER MOWERS, JUST NEED A LITTLE HELP WITH THIS. I REALLY DO LIKE THE SPEED, RESPONE, AND SIMPLINESS OF THE Z AND I HAVE ALREADY SOLD ANOTHER ONE FOR THE DEALER AND YOU GUYS. I AM NOT COMPLAINING, JUST WANTING TO LEARN FROM OTHERS FIRST. ALSO ANY WAY TO DO LIGHTS ON THIS MOWER (LED, KEROSENE LANTERS, ETC). AND I AM A FIRM BELIEVE OF DECK CHUTES AND ONE OF THE FEATURES OF THE SCAG I DO LIKE IS THE PLASTIC CHUTE, IS THERE ANY ONE IN YOUR NEAR FUTURE FOR THIS MACHINCE . THANKS FOR ANY INFRO. I LOOK FORWARD TO MANY HAPPY HOURS ON THIS MOWER.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Have you told your dealer about this ? it is new right ? that is what he is there for, I would have them check the deck pitch to start with, if he has any questions he can call the customer service department at the factory.
    As far as lights on a Super Z, we do not offer them due to the amount of amp draw, we use a electric clutch and hydro cooler fan on this unit and the added draw of lights would put the engines alternator at its max.
    I am not sure what they have working in the design department on the issue of discharge chutes, I will ask around and see what I can find out.

Pj

3. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

As for running doubles, the best combo is the standard scag blade on the bottom and a bobcat high lift offset blade on top. The bobcat blade is the same as the stock hustler blade except it is not as wide and not as heavy as the hustler.

4. richardheyder

THANKS P&J YOU DON'T HAPPEN TO KNOW THE PART # OF THE BOBCAT BLADES. MY DEALER ALSO TOLD ME HIS REP TOLD HIM THAT SOME OF THE GUYS IN ST. LOUIS SAID TO TRY THE 48304 HIGH LIFT SCAG BLADES AND THE HIGH LIFT FERRIS BLADES. I LOVE THE SPEED AND QUICK HANDLING ABILITY OF THE SUPER Z. BUT IT IS SO EASY TO OUT RUN THE ABILITY OF THE BLADES TO CUT OR THE DECK TO GET RID OF THE CLIPPINGS. HAS ANYONE TRY THE MULCHING KIT YET, I BOUGHT THE KIT TOO, BUT HAVE YET TO HAVE TIME TO TRY IT OUT.

HEY HUSTLER GUY, YES IT IS NEW , LESS THAN TWO WEEKS OLD AND SO FAR I REALLY LIKE THE Z, JUST TRYING TO GET USE TO IT NOW. I DIDN'T MEAN TO SOUND LIKE I WAS PUTTING DOWN MY LOCAL DEALER HE HAS BEEN GREAT AND HE HAS BENT OVER BACKWARD TO TRY TO HELP ME. AND IN RETURN I HAVE ALREADY SENT ALEAST TWO IF NOT MORE CUSTOMERS OVER THERE, AND I KNOW 1 OF THEM BOUGHT ONE ON MY RECOMADATION. I DID CHECK THE DECK PITCH AND LEVEL SIDE TO SIDE AND THEY WHERE IN GOOD SHAPE. BUT WHAT I DID NOTICE WAS THERE WASN'T DECK ROLLERS ON THE BACK, LIKE THE SCAG. DO THEY MAKE SOME FOR THE 60" DECK? IF THEY DON'T, THAT MAY BE A GOOD IDEA. NEXT TIME I GET A CHANCE TO TALK TO MY DEALER I WILL ASK HIM ABOUT THE ROLLERS IF I DON'T HEAR BACK FROM YOU. ITS JUST HARD TO TO FIND THE TIME TO DO ANYTHING BUT WORK DURING THE DAY WHEN YOU ARE PUTTING IN 12 -15 HOURS A DAY, AND TRYING TO AVOID THE RAIN TO BOOT.
    THANKS AGAIN.

5. OSDOTF

OSDOTF LawnSite Member

One of the many changes made to the big "Z" during the last nine months was the elimination of the rear anti-scalp rollers. Hustler puts a design premium on a close relationship between the deck and the rear tires. After several years of production, the consensus was the rear rollers had little to do except get in the way when you turn tightly around an obstacle. Our mechanic refers to them as the "spare tires."

I took a 24hp Honda "Z" home last night after doing a demo. I used it to mow the grass around the house, barn and outbuildings at my in-law's farm market. The grounds are rolling with ditch banks, abrupt camber changes and occasional farm machinery ruts; some of the ground is farmland that has been reclaimed by grass. I mowed it all at 3 1/2 inches and did not have any scalping problems. The closest I came to it was coming over the edge of a long steep embankment onto a state highway, and I feathered over that with my foot pedal. Having said all that, I should add that the demo unit came from our September shipment, complete with rear anti-scalp rollers (and no internal frame gussets, fuel selection switch or extended floor pan). I also avoided direct assaults on the worst ruts! You may have something there with the rear rollers, but I'd still be interested to know what kind of ground conditions cause a Hustler (with or without rear rollers) to scalp where a Skag doesn't.

You didn't mention the position of your anti-scalp rollers. Have you set them according to the recommendations in the back of the owner's manual? Hustler installs them in the top hole for crating purposes. I inform my buyers about adjusting them, but we don't touch them unless the customer specifies it.

As for the discharge chute, I was told at a dealer update that Excel has looked at plastics in the past but has yet to find a material that satisfies them. Steel bends, they say, but you can always bend it back; plastic stays broken forever.

Live long and prosper but try it with the caps lock off!

6. richardheyder

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS BUT WHEN YOU ARE LEARNING TO TYPE LIKE I AM YOU DO THINGS THE SIMPLE WAY. I PROMISE TO GET BETTER AS TIME GOES ON.
    HEY I GOT TO SHOW OFF MY SUPER Z THREE TIMES LAST WEEK TO A DEERE DRIVER AND 2 GRASSHOPPERS, THEY COULDN'T BELIEVE HOW FAST AND RESPONSIVE IT WAS. I STILL DRIVE THE HUSTLER AND LEAVE THE SCAG TO THE HELP IF THAT TELLS YOU ANYTHING.
    I HAVE BEEN IN THE MOWING BIZ FOR 13 YEARS AND HAVE USED A LOT OF DIFFERANT MOWERS DURING THAT TIME, SO I KNOW HOW TO RUN A ZTR AND KNOW THAT EVERY BRAND IS A LITTLE DIFFERANT. YOU HAVE TO LEARN THE IN AND OUTS OF EACH.
    THE ROLLERS I WERE TALKING ABOUT ARE NOT AT THE REAR CORNERS BUT THE TWO LONG ONES AT THE BACK OF THE DECK AND INBETWEEN THE TIRES. THEY SIT JUST BELOW THE DECK. THE PROBLEM I AM HAVING IS WHEN MOWING DOWN AROUND 2 TO 2 1/2" (I KNOW TOO SHORT BUT YOU TELL MY CUSTOMERS THAT) THE BACK OF THE DECK DRAGS THE GROUND(NOT THE BLADES) IN AREAS LIKE THE EDGE OF A DITCH OR A CROWN OR HUMP IN THE YARD. I AM NOT USE TO HAVING TO RAISE THE DECK ON MY SCAGS ON THESE YARDS, AND IT IS JUST TAKING SOME GETTING USE TO. AFTER LOOKING AT BOTH OF THE MOWERS SIDE BY SIDE I SAW THAT THE BLADES SIT A LITTLE HIGHER IN THE DECK OT THE HUSTLER THAN THE SCAG. SO I PUT A COUPLE OF WASHERS BETWEEN THE BLADES AND THE SPINDLES TO BRING THE BLADES DOWN A BIT SO I CAN RAISE THE DECK UP A LITTLE HIGHER . AND THEN RESET THE HEIGHT BETWEEN THE TWO MOWERS SO THEY MATCH AND THAT SEEM TO HELP OUT ALOT.
    I HAVE ALSO LEARN THAT EVERY MACHINE IS A COMPORMISE OF SORTS, AND THAT MOST COMPANIES CONTINUILLY TRY TO IMPROVE THIER PRODUCTS. SO I AM NOT COMPLAINING, ONLY WONDERING WHY ABOUT SOME THINGS AND OFFERING MY TWO CENTS ON OTHERS.
    I HAVE A LOT OF SMALL INTOWN YARDS ,SOME WHERE AROUND A 120 AND I DO LIKE TO RUN WITH THE CHUTE DOWN, AND WITH THE METAL CHUTE IF YOU HIT A SMALL TREE, PLANTER, FENCE POST AND SO ON, YOU HAVE A GOOD CHANCE OF TEARING UP EITHER THE ITEM YOU HIT OR THE CHUTE, WITH THE PLASTIC ONES THEY BEND EASY AND POP BACK INTO SHAPE RARLY MESSING ANYTHING UP AND MY WORKERS ARE MORE LIKELY TO LEAVE DOWN SAVING ME FROM BUYING WINDOWS AND SUCH FROM THROWN ROCKS AND OBJECTS. IF NOTHING ELSE PLEASE GIVE US AN OPTION OF PLASTIC OR METAL.

I STILL LIKE MY Z!!!!!

7. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

try one of these on your Hustler.

I use one of these and have no chute clearance problems as it fits flush with the mower deck.

It can be opened just a little by pushing foward on the handle just a little bit.

It can be opened all the way, for open discharge, by pushing foward on the handle all the way.

Pulling the handle back closes the chute.

closed chute.jpg

8. captken

in the open position.

dsc01433.jpg

9. captken

after the new wears off....

I use Gator Blades that are manufactured for Hustler.

Only available through your Hustler dealer, it is Wide and Heavy.

bumper.jpg

10. richardheyder

Thanks Captken , that chute cover looks nice where do you find info and prices on it ? thanks rick