1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blades didn't work as advertized

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by specialtylc, May 17, 2004.

1. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Well today I tried the MEG MOs on my ZD21. The grass was not over 2 inches tall, but was wet from rain yesterday evening. I wish I had my camera today to take a photo of the grass caked under the deck. 2 to 3 inches thick. The grass stuck to the deck until it got so heavy or I hit a bump and then the crap would drop in a big manure pile.The blades dont seem to have enough lift to them. I ran them for 1.5 hours and took them off and put the factory blades back on and finished the job. The factory blades worked great as usual. Very little sticking to the deck and no manure piles. Also the MEGs dont require any more power to run than normal blades. At least with my Kubota. So anyway I will be calling Roy at MEG MO tomorrow.
  2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I have heard so much negative crap about megs that I would never think about running them myself. The Exmark excaliber high lifts work well in all conditions, even lots of rain. Stick with what works for your setup.
  3. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i'd stay away, far,far away from those meg mo's. I probally wouldn't run them if Meg mo's sent me them for free.
    I would defentally run them if meg mo paid me though~hint~hint~hint meg mo
  4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I assume it did not leave a perfect "bagged appearance" after cutting? :rolleyes: Can you give any other input, any comparisons to quality with the blades you normally run.

5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

They Blow Some Serious Grass Dust...No Lift?...Are you Nutz? They Leave Some Serious Stripes & Suck up Debris in the Catchers like a Vac Powered Unit!
  6. specialtylc

They didnt lift the grass and let it get cut very well. Also it seems as though the megs did chop up the grass into finer pieces and maybe thats the problem. The grass just stays under the deck and doesnt get thrown out. Was very similar to using Gator blades on a mulching deck . In fact the grass would drop out from under the deck in large clumps, like a cow pie. Most mowers will at least throw it out the discharge, but not these MEGs. One of the things that impressed me the most about my Kubota was how well it would cut wet grass. The factory blades are a medium lift design.
  7. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

these MegMo topics are getting old. The same negativity every time. Not to mention it has gotten a few folks in trouble for voicing their opinions without using the product directly. I sure would hate to purchase a set and have the same results as SpecialtyLC though. Good luck on figuring it out. I heard they will refund your money but not your time....

8. specialtylc

Well maybe thats the problem I was having. Too much lift and not enough throwing it out the chute.
  9. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

I had exactly the same problem when I tried the Meg-Blow's. They left piles of grass crap all over the lawn. I'm back to doubles or regular lift blades!
  10. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

True True...Roy Need to Offer Some Notched Knives for Serious Discharge...I'm Keeping them For Normal Mowing Conditions & Clean-ups....