Blades don't stop turning

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Larson Lawn Care, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2009 snapper pro 36 inch Hydro Walk behind mower. Last week the belt that turns the blades Broke and came off while I was mowing. I bought a New belt weeks before because I knew it was in bad shape. So I replaced it immediately but then the mower seemed to vibrate a bit more than normal. I don't use it that much so I let it go for a while but now it is getting worse and I noticed that the blades turn while not engaged. They do not turn fast but enough for me to know that something is wrong. I also noticed that the other belt that runs everything else had a pulley that seemed to vibrate quite a bit. I started to adjust the springs for both belts but I can't fix the issue by doing that. I also noticed that when I started it with the pull start It is not normal And it is harder to pull. Do you have any suggestions?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. thom

thom LawnSite Member

Disconnect the power wire to the electric clutch pulley, and see if you can crank the engine easier.

3. Larson Lawn Care

I'll give that a try
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Larson Lawn Care

In the morning
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. billc1004

billc1004 LawnSite Member

is it a manual blade engage or electric clutch and switch ?

6. thom

thom LawnSite Member

If that doesn't work, remove the drive belt from the clutch to the blade deck.

7. Larson Lawn Care

I'm not too sure. I pull the yellow knob to engage the blades so manual?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Dakota Dog

Dakota Dog LawnSite Member

That is an electric clutch. Not to be the bear of bad news but it sounds like the bearings in your PTO clutch are staring to seize up on you.

9. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Lets do this troubleshooting one step at a time or we're going to get so lost we won't know our heads from an ass, step one: disconnect the wires from the clutch, which should be attached to the bottom of the engine's crankshaft.

10. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I meant to add:

1. If the situation improves, the problem likely lies in the clutch itself.
    2. If it does not improve, the problem likely lies elsewhere.