Blades Dulling

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by X-mow, Jun 12, 2003.

1. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

I've noticed that new blades don't dull as quick as blades that have been sharpened a few times, anybody know why?

2. They don't have a super sharp edge on them. A sharp edge will dull faster than a blunt edge.

Eg: When I put brand new blades on a mower I can let them go for 3 days before they have to be sharpened, then every night in prime season thereafter.

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Are they getting too hot when being sharpened? This could cause them to loose their temper. I know I'm more prone to loosing my temper when I get too hot. :D

4. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

Yeah that must be it

5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

New blades are dull anyway, they aren't sharpened. They just have an edge/angle on them. I always sharpen new blades before I put them on.

6. Auroris

Auroris LawnSite Member

Same here. New blades are not sharp enough to even really "cut" a blade of grass. They leave the blades looking like you just cut them with a dull blade (tattered, light colored tips).

7. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone tried to get a set of blades cyrogenically (sp) tampered.

8. coalburner

coalburner LawnSite Member

I tried some flame sprayed powered tungsten on a set of blades a while ago, boy what a mistake. Works great on brush hog blades but not on finish mower blades.

9. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey coalburner, what went wrong with the flame sprayed stuff of finish blades?? I was thinking about trying some of it. I thought it was pretty expensive but would like to try it.

10. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

They dont come razor sharp from the factory.So when you get em razor sharp they dull quicker.I put on a fresh set every morning and then about mid way though the cutting day put on another fresh set during heavy growth in pring early summer.When the growth slows in the heat of summer i'll go couple of days before changes