1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blades engage rough on 48" scag

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gibsonsg311, Mar 9, 2008.

1. gibsonsg311

gibsonsg311 LawnSite Member

I have a 99 scag hydro and when i engage the blades there is alot of vibrations. Just pulled out of storage, it started up fine and ran well but then i flipped the blade switch and it just started shaking, bladed rotating and engine didn't die. just doesn't seem right compared to my 36" scag. Im not sure what is wrong. Any suggestions?
  2. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Are the blades bent/off balance, bad spindle bearing, you did not notice this before storage?
  3. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

the belt could be loose or shot.
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Belt sitting all winter taking a memory. Did it smooth out? Run it a while and let the belt loosen up.
  5. gibsonsg311

gibsonsg311 LawnSite Member

Spindles are fine, blades only been sharpened a couple times. Old belt broke before storing it. I will go down and check out the belt may have tightened up sitting for 4 months.
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

New belts are even worse for taking a winter memory.

Blades only sharpened a few times and you already replaced a broken belt? Somethings not right with that. Belts should last for years!
  7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Bad spindle bearings possibly. Also the belt memory issue. Could also be an idler pulley. Tony