Blades For Cutting Rye Grass

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Gary Sharbonno, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Gary Sharbonno

Gary Sharbonno LawnSite Member

I have a Lazer HP 46" 2007 with a triton deck and would like to know what blades would you guys recommend for cutting Rye Grass that I used as an over seeding for the winter. I am using an Ultra Vac system as well. The rye grass is soft and lays down very easy. Looking for a blade that will stand the grass up after rolling on it. I am using currently emark standard high lift blades.

Any help will be greatfuly appreciated.
    Gary

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Gary,

How are the standard high lift blades working right now?

KC

3. Gary Sharbonno

KC
    The blades are cutting the grass fairly well. Where the wheels roll keeps the grass down in these areas. The blades must be very sharp to even cut the soft fine blades of grass or it seems to just lay over. That is why I was hoping for a blade with possibly extreme lift even if it required to go very slow in forward speed. I am not going but about 4 miles per hour or less in forward speed now. The main issue is to get the laid down grass to stand back up after the wheels have mashed it down. If I take off right through the middle of the lawn that first cut will cut all of the rye grass on the first pass.
    Thanks for responing.
    Gary

4. eXmark

Gary,

We do have two Super Hi-Lift blades. One w/ a notched blade and one w/ a solid blade. They should give you better vacuum than what you are currently getting. Here are the part numbers:
    Notched: 103-8433
    Solid: 103-8420

Also, have you adjusted your front baffle? Depending on what height you are cutting, you may need to move the adjustable front baffle up or down. The whole point of that baffle being adjustable is to make sure that the deck keeps a decent seal, and thus has maximun vacuum. I would try playing w/ the adjustable baffle first.

KC

5. Gary Sharbonno

KC,
    Thanks for the infomation. As usual the people at exmark are always willing to help.
    Thanks,
    Gary

6. Gary Sharbonno

KC,
    Could you give me the part number of the blades that came on my mower?
    It is a 2007 Triton Deck 46 inch Lazer HP.

Again thanks for your support.
    Gary

7. eXmark

Gary,

Thanks for the compliment! We try our best around here, and we're glad to have you in the Exmark family!

The standard blade on all Triton decks is the Hi-Lift Notched blade. The part number for a standard 46" blade is 103-8251.

KC

8. Gary Sharbonno

KC,
    Thanks again,
    Gary

9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

You might also try fertilizing with a little higher potassium with some silica if you can find it. That combo will help the grass stand up better for a better cut. Also easy on the N use more Iron for the green up. I have the same problem here.

I can't imagine a mower blade making that much difference in the fraction of a second between the time you roll over the blade of grass until the mower blade gets there. That is asking an awful lot of a mower blade, JMHO.