Blades for JD

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1999frontier, Mar 18, 2008.

1. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I've got a JD 727A and I am going to replace the blades on it and I was wondering what kind of blades to run. I called the dealer and they said $50 for a set. I talked to someone online at a parts place and they said to use mulching blades. I side discharge so how would the mulching blades help?

2. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

We had good results from jd highlifts. Dealer never carried them in stock though.

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

JD highlifts all the way. Mulching blades will not work if you are side discharging. Only use the mulching blades with a mulch kit.

4. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Thats what I told them, that I didn't think you should use mulching blades when side discharging. Should I just go with the JD highlifts from the dealer?

5. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Try the MEG MO blades. Stay sharp 8 to 10 times longer' deck stays cleaner and no more lumps or clumps coming from your mower any more.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

If you run the stock blades you will not have to scrape the deck either, I have never scraped my 7 iron decks using stock blades.

7. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

That's true. The standard blades (medium lift) work great in the rain and keep the deck clean. I feel that you sacrifice some suction and subsequent striping. Uses less horsepower though.

8. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

????Are you saying i'll get a great cut for 100 hours before i have to sharpen meg mo blades???? :confused::confused::confused:

9. 7 IRON

7 IRON LawnSite Member
    from VT

I think Deere went to the high lift blades as the standard blade on the 7 IRON
    decks.

10. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I have tried several aftermarket blades and none compare to the stock Hi lifts TCU15881 model # for 60" they are .313 thick and 3" wide and they hold an edge better than all others that I tried