blades for new ultracut

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by kevin0311, Sep 4, 2006.

1. kevin0311

kevin0311 LawnSite Member

why did exmark go with the larger size 15/16 hole on the last of the ultracut decks. when i bought my machine a few months ago my dealer gave me the regular size blades but when i went to change them i found that i had a different setup than i am used to. has the brass spline with the larger hole blade. what is the brass there to be the weak point?
    why was it changed for the last of the ultracuts?
    566000 is is my serial number.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Kevin,

Good question. The splined blade drivers (they're actually plated steel, not brass) came about for two reasons.

First, to help prevent blade bolt tightening. With the original style if you happened to scalp the turf or hit something, it could cause the blade bolt to self-tighten (in some testing we actually achieved torques in excess of 400 ft-lbs). The blade driver separates the blade bolt from the blade to prevent this from happening.

Secondly, it can give a little bit of protection to more expensive components. In a major impact the blade could actually slip between the driver and spindle shaft which is much better than transferring all of that energy to the bearings, pulley and belt.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us again.

Thanks,

Lenny

3. kevin0311

is the advantage series also getting this spindle setup since it runs the ultracut deck. very good idea with the setup but the exmark dealers should know what they are selling (45min one way to my dealer) so little mistakes are not made like this. there is a dealer closer but more $ he charges. should i get a couple of these spline inserts for backups? where and price to order if you think i should have one or two on hand.

anyway still very happy with my 27/60 lazer z

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Yes, the Lazer Z AS has has the splined bushing and they list for $7.50 each. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a few in stock.
    Brian

5. kevin0311

thanks when i get a chance i will order one or two for backup

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm at a loss on this question. What could go wrong with the splined bushing that you would need a back up? By the way I like the design and it reqires less torque to remove and install the blades. I can use a use a torque wrench and easily change them without a block or something to assist in holding the blade such as a block. A pair of gloves to hold the blade is sufficient for the recommended 60 lbs of torque. When you go buy a set Kevin0311 ask for the red ones. They changed the color to help you from getting the wrong set. Good luck.

7. kevin0311

yep but i will have to tell them the red ones for the ultracut because the triton takes the red ones also (bit different)

i just get aftermarket ones anyway, little bit heavy-er-duty and cheaper.

i like to keep a extra one of just about anything i can afford because you never know and there are a few jobs that are quite far away from my dealer.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have several pair of Exmark blades for the Ultracut (05 red) and a set of J-Thomas blades. Can't tell any difference in cut but I seem to favor the Exmark blades. Both cut great and the metal on J-Thomas seems to be as hard. I was trying to find a pair of medium lifts for wet weather but haven't found any yet with the 15/16 center hole. One thing about the Ultracut. It will outcut other mowers I've been on even at partial throttle. Never leaves a blade standing.