Blades for this summer - Not Gator Mulching?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Tha5150, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Ric they don't work on toro and wright machines if they are full kit. Plate, yes. Gators are designed mainly for discharge.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Everything mulches on a walker when you're going 4mph.

3. Tha5150

Tha5150 LawnSite Member

So basically guys, I am using High Lift and this is my best option and need to side discharge. With what I have on my mower, Gator blades will not do me much better on my weekend warrior schedule?

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Chris

I would argue with you, But Who cares? Gator Blades Suck.

5. The OP. Just trying to point him in what I think is the right direction. I do agree though, for the price, they aren't great.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Tha5150

Tha5150 LawnSite Member

I know all blades aren't the same but in general if I get a "high lift" I should be fine? Or are there certain brands to stay away from?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. unkownfl

I think you're way over thinking this man. If you're just mowing regular lawns I would just get some cheap heavy duty hi or medium lifts and call it a day. Sharpen them every week and be done.

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Unknown

I am sure Glad you are not cutting my grass with once a week blade sharping. When I cut Grass many years ago I changed sharp Blades twice a day. Every Morning and every Lunch time.

I sure hope you are not trying to mow Bahia with week old Blades. But then if you only have 10 accounts, Once a week sharpening is OK I guess.

In Edit

Look at the Grass Blade after you cut with Week Old Blades. Instead of Cut it is RIPPED and the Grass Blades with be all torn instead of a clean cut. This is why the Turf has a white haze to it.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  9. unkownfl

He's a weekend warrior cutting grass in a town like Arcadia. You really think he needs to change his blades twice a day?

10. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

5150 - I side discharge and use high lift blades on my Hustler with no issue. I am with Ric in that I personally think that Gator Blades are overrated. I tried using them for awhile and although there was a lot of hype about them...I really did not see the big deal.

I will also tell you one of the things that i think made the biggest difference to me. That was when I bought a dedicated blade sharpener. I did not go out and by one of the $800 machines that many talk about here. What I did was buy a cheap one I found on Ebay from a company called Bradley. This machine allows me to sharpen my blades quickly and effectively. I own enough blades that I sharpen them at the end of the week and just replace every morning. As Ric stated ...when you look down at the lawns I care for the blade at the top has a nice even cut like it has been cut with a pair of scissors. Believe it or not there are customers out there that actually know and care about this....and even more chemical companies who will notice that you blades are not damaging their hard work...this of course could lead to them referring you.