1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blades for Toro Turbo Force??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PMLAWN, Jun 4, 2004.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I'm going to pick up my new Z tomorrow and I was wondering what blades seem to work the best with it.
    Z557--27 Kohler-- 60" deck. Will almost always side discharge. I cut at 3.5 inches. Mostly tall Fescue (Piedmont NC). So far this year has been dry but does one set of blades work better than another--in dry ---in wet--. Did the search but because the deck is somewhat new it seemed that there were no conclusions on what works best.

Thanks in advance. --By the way, this is my first Z. Hopefully I can cut some time off my bigger properties.--
  2. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't help you much with your grass types as mine are different.

The standard notched high lifts are going well for everyone so far in a wide variety of conditions. But they do throw far.

Getting an OCDC would be handy www.qwikchute.com makes one for your deck.

Later you can experiment with mulch blades while side discharging too, playing with the adjustable baffle can give surprising results.

There is info about blades and this deck here, try searching for turbo force etc, a guy here has your model and cuts your grass types, ODIN, he is the guy to talk to.

You will find this is a very clean cutting deck with lots of scope, you will love it! I have the Z588E.

Thanks Tonyr, I like the OCDC as there are a few areas that I want to keep beds clean. Does anybody use a OCDC and if so does it leave a mound of grass at the chute side of the deck.
    As far as the blades, will the high lift come with the unit? Are they what they call High Sail? I plan to get a second set from the dealer when I pick it up. He has the Atomic, what would they be good at. Are they like a Gator Blade. Thanks again for the help.
  4. Tonyr

OCDC's are handy, the one above is very popular with guys on here. yes, it will leave a small windrow, easy to clean up though.
    usually high lifts come standard yes. high sail, yes.

atomic is very similar to gator yes, very good mulching blade.

I often run these while side discharging and they do a great job, close the baffle up some and you will get smaller clippings.

I believe in my conditions the Recycle blade cuts very good if not better than atomic but clippings aren't chopped as much.

I'm about to try Raptors And Exmark's wavey blades just for interest, I'll post results.

let me know if I can help more.

Thanks again. Can't wait to try it all out. Put off doing 1 large account during the week so I could do it today with the new Z. I might buy both atomic and recycle and do some testing.
  6. Tonyr

The more you play around with this mower the more you will appreciate and enjoy it, sooo many options, once you get the hang of that baffle you will understand why I rave on so much about them, lol.

these decks are vertually limitless with what you can cut and how neat you want to cut, and we haven't even talked about the mulch kit yet....I've cut heavy long bermuda in the rain last summer, no clumping or bogging, just slow down and let the machine do it's thing and the results are very, very impressive.

The mulch kit is a pain to fit, so you would fit it when you had lots of work for it, but it really works well, wish I could mulch all of the time...can't obviously.

Atomics and Recycles when side discharging, atomics can streak, recycles tend not to, atomics cut clippings up finer, recycles are better in heavier conditions, atomics don't throw quite as far as recycles, the recycle is a longer lasting blade and has longer cutting edge, both perform well when playing with the baffle.

Theory is with mulch blades they guide the clippings back to the centre , less vacume, clippings fall and get sucked back up to be re cut over and over, so when side discharging the air flow isn't ideal for this action obviously but the process should still happen to some extent, so clippings should be somewhat smaller than standard highlifts. works for me anyway, lol.
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Great wine that yellow tail:D Wish you where here:waving:

G'DAY MATE!!!!!

Johnny G.

8. Tonyr

Crikey, you have the life!

Not much into the bubbly mate, beer drinker hence being shaped like a keg LOL!

Where is that wine made John?

Got my Raptors yesterday, I'll let you know how they go if this dew ever melts!

Take care...looks like you got a great handle on life by the relax pics, lucky bugger!
  9. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Try some Atomics. We have good luck with them on our Toro Z's. Should work well for fescue.
  10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I have a beer pic for you!!! Tonight!!!!!