blades for ts 400

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by vtscaper, Jul 9, 2007.

1. vtscaper

vtscaper LawnSite Member

Can you run 12" blades on a 14" saw or can this wear the motor due to the change in rpm. I dont think there is any rev limiter on a ts 400.
  2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't say I know for sure either way, but I don't know why you couldn't do it...

Yes, your blade speed will be different (it'll actually be lower speed at the same rpm), but I don't think there would be any significant change in max rpms to cause any problems. Call your dealer and ask them if you are very concerned about it.
  3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

The change in rpms is only at the blade tip, the engine dictates all of this, the working range, I imagine that if something were to wear earlier, it would be the blade overspeeding......I really doubt though that there is any issue with anything wearing early.
  4. lawnman456

lawnman456 LawnSite Member
    from ct

i have used different size blades when i used to do construction. i spent hours using one from cutting roofs and concrete using different size blades. i have used 16 inch and 12 inch and nothing have happened to it. I have seen nothing that have harm the saw. and that saw took alot of abuse. You will be fine. i sure there is a rev limit on your saw or you most likey have blown your engine by now.
  5. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

The RPM's are the same- doesn't matter which blade you use. A bigger diameter blade has a faster tip speed across the cutting surface..which means faster cutting, but since your using a hand held and can vary the speed with the throttle, you probably won't notice a difference.