Blades getting old

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ein999, Oct 18, 2008.

1. ein999

ein999 LawnSite Member

When blades get old and loose their edge to they loose cutting performance.

they are still sharp and have the lift baffle but dont have the meat on the cutting edge they once did. Does this affect cutting perfomance.

Please try to be helpful, if you dont have a helpful comment dont post.

2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Of course it effects it.

How often do you sharpen? If you do it every 10-15 machine hours then you should have a good edge for a couple seasons easily.

I buy new blades every other year.

3. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, it definitely affects the cutting performance.

4. MyKisa

MyKisa LawnSite Member

I change blades daily. I believe it is worth it. I mow 35 40 daily.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Yes as you sharpen blades back, they loose length. The also loose that all important 90 degree angle on the tip. Both degrade QOC to the point where I feel it's no longer worth sharpening them. Well before that time I have usually hit something real hard that renders it useless to me anyway.

6. FromtheGroundUp

FromtheGroundUp LawnSite Member

as long as you have enough"meat" to sharpen you fine. i replace them when my sharpening reaches pretty dang close to the lift baffle. i keep the older ones to use in fall/winter for leaves. at this time i switch to 2 blades per spindel. "in an X"

7. No. Not that I can see. I used to keep the old "thin" blades in one set, and put on new blades as a whole set, but no more. If they're properly sharpened there ain't no difference.
    I've sharpened them with an angle back toward the tip, kept the cutting face parallel with the back, even rounded the tip around in a curve. Still no difference.

The only thing that makes a difference is;
    1. The blade is bent
    2. If it isn't sharpened at the proper angle.

I only run big mowers. But I don't see how it would be different form any other mower unless they had some kind of design flaw or something that would have problems with a slight change in cutting blade's width.
    Then it would look like the owner's manual would say "you can't sharpen these blades" or something.

8. Genlandscape

Genlandscape LawnSite Member

We replace our blades every two hundred machine hours, and sharpen every 8 hrs. We have very sandy soils here in coastal Florida so blades don't last long. Do what you feel is right for your lawns, and what gives you the best results. Yes poor blade condition will affect your cut, afterall its the blades that do all the work. The rest of these fancy machines just make the blades turn, and go forward.

9. CleanCutProLawn

CleanCutProLawn LawnSite Member

I do the same as Haggerty at the golf course and with my lawn care, i can run my blades at the golf course til there is only 1/4" - 1/2" of flat at the end before you hit the lift baffel. I have not experienced any loss of QOC running my blades down this far, we can get 800+ hrs out of blades up here but we don't have sandy soils. I will sharpen blades apprx every 30 to 40hrs, but always have a extra sharpened set with me at all times.

10. ein999

ein999 LawnSite Member

I do sharpen everyday or everyotherday when im mowing.

I appreciate the comments nice to have help.