Blades hard to engage when cold ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by madmusic, Nov 30, 2004.

1. madmusic

madmusic LawnSite Member

Do any of you have this problem? On cold mornings sometimes when I try to engage the blades the mowers bogs and goes dead. If I let it warm for around 3-4 minutes it engages fine. Is this something I shoud worry about or just blame it on the cold? By the way Im in North Carolina so its not that cold yet.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!!
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that happens sometimes with me. I usually let the engine warm up a bit, and then engage them. After a while they are fine.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Probably just a cold natured Kohler paired with a low hp to deck ratio. What RPM are you engaging at?
  4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, they are going to do it, the belts are cold, fluid is cold, and the engine is not at operating temperature.
    it is harder on a engine to put a load on it before it is at proper operating temp.
  5. madmusic

madmusic LawnSite Member

Thanks, I engage the blades at full throttle and it is a 20 hp kohler with a 52 deck. I will have to let it warm from now on. Thanks for the quick reply.
  6. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Personally, I can't engage in much work:sleeping: until I've warmed up to a few cups of coffee. :laugh:

7. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

Try starting the mower at home before you leave and letting it run for 5 minutes while you get other stuff ready to go. That way when you get to the jobsites, you won't have as much downtime waiting for the mower to warm up.
  8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

20 HP Kohler is a lot of engine for your deck size.

It is really hard on the clutch and belts. Similar to dumping the clutch in a car at high rpm, in my opinion.

Try a little throttle, about 1/3, then put the choke on about 1/2 way, then hit the blade switch, then take the choke back off.

This trick works on my Kohlers. On our Kawasaki, same trick, just use idle throttle and full choke.

Play around with it, the find the amount of choke that works best, and use as little throttle as possible to preserve belts and that expensive electric clutch.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is exactly what I do to. After that first start while loading, and letting it run for a good 5 mins, each job site there after starts on the first pull and is ready to go
  10. UTKcobra400

UTKcobra400 LawnSite Member