Blades Hitting Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scott H, Apr 26, 2001.

1. Scott H

Scott H LawnSite Member

I have a question, I have a 36"exmark metro and I noticed over the last few days that the blades are hitting into the deck. They are not hitting real hard, but enough to remove a small amount of metal from the inside of the deck. Also, they only do it some time. I also noticed that the blades have a little play in them when you pull on them. Maybe 1/8 to 1/4". Could my spindles being going bad and causing the blades to hit the deck?

Also, how hard is it to replace the blade spindles? Are they bolt in, or do they have to be pressed in?

Thanks,
    Scott

2. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Scott if your blades move 1/8" when you move them with your hands your spindel bearings need replaced. I don't think exmarks bearings are pressed. Do you have a shaft collar with three bolts? And on the bottom you will have a pinion ring,take out the three bolts on top and put them in the other three holes and tighten them up this will loosen the collar,and on the bottom remove the ring and slide the bearing race. You can buy them at any bearing co_Or order from your dealer. I always keep a extra just encase one goes out on my snapper 52 its nine yrs old and i never replaced any yet. I think all spindel bearings are field changable. Marks Mowing Service

3. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like the spindel is gone. I have a Toro 36", same deck, and it was only a few dollars more to purchase the entire spindle assembally than just the bearings.

4. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

How old is this unit? did it hit something? I agree with the the last post,might be best to change the whole unit depending on price

5. Scott H

Scott H LawnSite Member

The unit is probably 6 or 7 years old, and has never hit anything other then a rock or two here and there.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I priced the spindels the other day, they are $52/each.

6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

any idea on roughly how many hours you have on it? i am buying a 36" exmark in a week or two. just wondering how durable it's been.

7. Scott H

Scott H LawnSite Member

I have only had the mower since last year. I think it has a lot of hours on it though. As far as I know, this is the only problem it has had, except small stuff like throtle cables and all.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

eXmark spindles have a 3 yr warrenty on them. 1st year 100%. 2nd and 3rd year parts only. Call your local dealer and find out.