Blades hitting each other

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by mckell68, Sep 23, 2003.

1. mckell68

mckell68 LawnSite Member

Terry,

I have an older Viking with a tri-vantage deck 52 inch cut.
    I purchased a new set of "gator" blades(Grasshawg) for it and the middle blade and the discharge side blade are hitting each other at the very ends of the blades.(not constantly--just every 5-7 seconds).

I pulled off all three blades, measured them(all 18 inches), checked them for straitness/warpage and all is o.k. I tried changing positions on the deck and still hitting(center and discharge). I currently run 6 sets of various stlye blades,even doubles, and they are ok.

Any ideas on what is the problem---Mike

2. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

Is the deck warped? Do the blades align with eack other?

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mike,

If the Gators hit and the factory blades don't then simply take them back. The blade should be measured opposite corner to opposite corner at a diagonal or tip to top. If the blade is wider it can lengthen the blade from tip without affecting the length from end to end.

If you need to you can also loosen the cutter housings and move them slightly away from each other. This may give you enough clearance to prevent the blades from hitting.

There is another possible cause. If the blade bolt isn't centered perfectly in the middle it can cause one tip to hit. Your blade balancer should be able to show you if one is off a little bit.

Thanks

Terry