1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blades. Is there a difference?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SnoMan97, Apr 1, 2005.

1. SnoMan97

SnoMan97 LawnSite Member

I have an older Ferris hydro 36". I have generic blades on it now. I keep them sharp but I can't really mow at a quick pace. If I try to mow to quickly, the mower will leave a line in the center of cut area and just give a generally bad looking cut. Could this be the blades. If so, which blades are reommended. Thanks. :)
  2. CWG

CWG LawnSite Member

Yes, serious difference. Or at least it seems like it. Especially if you're blocking the chute and mulching.
  3. Supertiger

Supertiger LawnSite Member

the most important thing is that you have the blades sharp, if you do and it leave a line of uncut grass then you have discoverd the speed limit of your particular mower deck. you will need to mantain you mower speed slow enough for it to cut all the grass clean. Some mowers have very high blade tip speeds and some dont you need to keep your ground speed to wear the cut is clean
  4. SnoMan97

SnoMan97 LawnSite Member

What brand of blades would you guys suggest?
  5. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

We go with the premium blades from local LCO-outfittersfor $20 each, they keep their edges longer, and longer edges.

In high regards to the great original and former posts, you can
    test it out this way: a mowhawk "strip" look after a pass can mean you might remedy by cross-cut at a diferent angle than your last week's cut and/ or slow it down a little if its been saturated wet.

If the mowhawk-look persists, its your blades actual outside edges and time to get new ones.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes missed strips of grass are due to old/stretched belts or lack of compete greasing of the idler pulley.
  7. CWG

CWG LawnSite Member

Gator blades?

I couldnt find the real article about a lawn group that had some blades frozen vs. non cryo'd blades, it was interesting but I suspect its snake oil, but its still interesting reading
  8. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Buy a set of OEM, Ferris original equipment blades, to get a base line of the mower's performance. I believe you'll see a marked improvement.

If after trying OEM blades you want to use aftermarkets anyway, you'll have the OEM's to 'match up' to help get the best 'fitting' blades. A sixteenth inch can make a difference!
  9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

What Eric said. Then slap on a set of Double High Lifts, Cut away.
  10. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Also make sure you clean out under the deck each time you change the blades. It won't flow out freely if you have clumps built up under the deck and could cause some of the problem.