Blades making engine sputter?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Tharrell, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I put my 52 Lesco wb on the trailer for work today and when I engaged the blades at the jobsite, the engine started to sputter. I disengaged the blades and it sounded ok. I checked the rpms on the tach and without the blades it was 3540-3560. With the blades engaged it's around 3460 or so. Is that about right? It's a Kawasaki 601V 19 hp. Now, it did get rained on pretty good the day before so I was wondering if maybe that played a part? It just sort of seemed to come and go. I didn't use it that much and didn't have time to play with it when I got home. I'd appreciate someones help with this. Thanks, Tony
  2. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

With the engine not running and the blade clutch disengaged, see how easy the blades turn. There should be some resistance against the belt and pulleys, but the blades should turn nice and smooth. If not there could be grass/debris caught either around the blade spindle or fowling the belt, even built up grass under the deck,
    atb Phil
  3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the reply. I was trying to think to myself what could cause it, mechanical or fuel. I do remember cutting this really overgrown account and the left spindle stopped spinning because of all the buildup of cut/uncut grass. That was quite a while ago and I've used it plenty since. I stopped and cleaned it out and cut half width after that and have had no trouble since but it still may be a spindle. I'll check that today.
    My original thoughts were that possibly water had gotten into the fuel or air filter assembly but, it really didn't underperform until I engaged the blades so it must be a mechanical issue. Tony
    BTW, I charged them $190 three times so, If I have to replace a spindle, they paid for it.