Blades Not Engaging

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by bsparr, Jul 2, 2007.

1. bsparr

bsparr LawnSite Member

While mowing yesterday the blades disengaged on their own and now they won't engage at all. I replaced the relay switch this morning but my dealer had to order the PTO switch which should be here tomorrow. While I am waiting for the PTO switch, any ideas on what else may be causing this problem ?

Super Z 60", Honda 24hp

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

How old is the unit?
    I would check all the wiring going to the clutch and connections.

3. bsparr

bsparr LawnSite Member

My neighbor also has a Super Z, so we tried his PTO switch on my unit and that is the problem. Now I just need to wait for the dealer to get the switch in stock.

Thanks

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Same thing happened to mine. Dealer replaced clutch under warranty, but deep down, I now feel it was just the pigtail section of wire. After they replaced the clutch, the very next day it disengaged on me....again (same exact way). Fiddled with the wires and found one connector not snapped totally in. Been fine ever since. It wasn't the connector at the clutch, it was on the other end of that pigtail wire.

But, yeah, its as if your mowing along and some ghost comes by and pushes your PTO button in. Flick in on and off several times with no luck, shut the unit down, go under and take a peek, wiggle some wires, start it up again and it's fine.

BTW....it's freakin hot under there!

5. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Check the fuse! Ive had a couple go out on me. Cheap and easy if thats the problem. Could try a heavier fuse!