blades not engaging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, May 29, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Ok here's the situation, I go out of the garage with the mower, ride it to one of my customer's lawns, hit the blades, and nothing happens. So I turned them off an tried again. Again no blades engaging. Did it another time this time for like 15 second I left them on and the blades still didn't turn on.
    What could be wrong???? The only thing I could think of is I need a new solenoid. Will this be expensive to fix because it is an electrical problem???
    Also my left drive wheel keeps getting loose(nuts keep loosening)
    the right one doesn't do this. I always tighten them good too. The guy who I bought it for I think drilled the whole to make them bigger and oversized them. I now have to buy a new rim and tire for my mower. With all of these problems I'm definitely thinking of selling now. :mad:

2. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Does it have a belt to drive the blade spindles or is it direct drive ??? As for the wheel bolt loosening , how about using a nyloc , locking nut or just a lock washer ??

3. lawnkid

Yes the spindles are turned by belts. What's a nyloc?

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Just one more reason for a signature line with mower types.:rolleyes:

5. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

nyloc is a nylon threaded nut i believe. as far as your problem goes, i can't help much without info about the mower type.

It could be the clutch, or it could be as simple as a spring that came off. if it doesn't have an electric clutch, it could be that a hairpin has come off of the blade engaging rod..

remember the old (KISS) method. (keep it simple stupid) Something my grandfather taught me when i was very young.

6. lawnkid

TLS,
    It's not that the line of mowers is bad, every line of equipment will have some problems after the mower is 6 years old.

OhioLawnGuy,
    my mower has an eletric clutch. Where would the blade engaging rod be located at?

I'll take it to the shop tomorrow and have it looked at and while they are doing that they will give me a mower from their demo line to use while it is being fixed. I'll see what I need ad i'll fix it myself rather than paying $50 per hour just to have my mower sit int he shop and the bill being like $300.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Lawnkid,

We STILL dont know what type/brand mower your talking about! :mad:

ZTR rider, push mower, walkbehind, what is it? Electric clutch is the only hint that I have so far. That rules out nothing!

8. lawnkid

Oh sorry, I thought you guys would already know which mower I'm running. It's the Scag SWZ. Sorry about that TLS.:cool:

9. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

well, since it does have an electric clutch, my first three thought are:

A: a spring load which keeps the belt under pressure

B: the clutch is bad, or the the wire connection for the clutch is loose, or frayed.

C: the switch to engag the blades is bad, or the wires are loose or disconnected.

I am not very familiar with the scags, we run bobcats.

if it is similar to the scag turf tiger, i think that the their is a spring load at the rear of the mower behind a plate.
    also, you should look at where the belts run on the deck. our bobcats have a spring load right there, and an occasioal stick will knock of the spring, causing the blades nt to engage.

i hope this helps some,
    Kevin

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Lawnkid,

Thats better.

Now I can help you.

Is the clutch "trying" to engage? Is it making a grinding noise like sandpaper? Make sure all wires are snug. Check switch.

Some of the SCAG clutches are adjustable. Mine never had a problem, so I don't know much about it. On my old JD's, you were able to adjust the clutch air gap, and get another coulple hundred hours out of it. It's a little late, so I'm not going out to the garage to look at mine. It could be an Ogura or a Warner. If not, they aren't all that expensive to just get a new one ($150)