Blades not staying put!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jds720, Jun 22, 2008.

1. jds720

jds720 LawnSite Senior Member

Im a rookie. heres my question!

Ok i have a 42" mower it has 2 blades. my understanding is the blades are supposed to look like this / / instead mine keep looking like this / \ ive manually moved them to realign them, but they keep going outa alignment. and when its outta wack it leaves little sections un-cut. HELP!! :confused:

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

The blades on a time cutter spin freely, they are belt driven, not gear driven. There is no way to keep them in sync and no need to either. If you are leaving a mohawk of uncut grass, it is either because your blade tips are dull, or because of build up under the deck.

Sharpen your blades, scrape your deck, if your blade tips are worn, replace them, and your problem will be solved.

3. jds720

jds720 LawnSite Senior Member

thanks im working to upgrade to a commericial mower to avoid these headaches

4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Also, make sure your baffling underneath isn't bent. That screws with airflow. I once sold a perfectly good, fairly new lawn mower b/c neither I nor the shop (who charged me hundreds of dollars) could figure out why it was mohawking.

I sold it to LawnTamer here, he corrected the damaged baffling with a hammer and welder - and still runs the mower to this day. :hammerhead: Live and learn...

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This probably isn't the case, but check and make sure the blades aren't on upside down lol

6. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

And be sure you have the correct blades.

7. skeet

skeet LawnSite Member

This happens more than anyone will ever admit

8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I did it on my own yard my second year. :laugh: