1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blades OEM or after market

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tower Rat 95B, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Tower Rat 95B

Tower Rat 95B LawnSite Member

What do you all do for blades, OEM or after market? I have always bought OEM at 13 dollars a pop, after doing that for 15 years at about 25 sets of blades a season I am seeing a big and possibly unnessary exspense......... I order a test set of blades from Travis at texasmowerparts.com ,they are almost half the price of OEM I hope they work as well as the OEM......... So what do you do OEM or after market and why?
  2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I buy after market no need to spend the money on OEM...They last just as long..
  3. Tower Rat 95B

Tower Rat 95B LawnSite Member

Well thats one vote for after market:),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Whats your brand.......
  4. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

after market. J Thomas or Mow More.
  5. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Super-Tuf or Flailmaster, buy direct. I use super-tuf on my

6. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i use aftermarket, but i get the same size, thickness and weight blades, at 1/2 the cost.
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Not too many, if ANY mower manufacturers make their own blades. They may design them, but they all come from other places. Chances are, that if you are buying from a catalog what you consider "non-OEM blades" are actually the same as the ones you buy from the dealer.

Heck, I've cought my dealer buying blades from a small engine shop we had in town that sold nothing but "aftermarket blades". Of course the dealer just slapped THEIR price on them and sold them to the next sucker that thought the dealer blades were the best, lol.

I would have been buying aftermarket for years, unfortunately no one really sold Dixon blades in the catalogs (the ones they do sell are often old styles that don't even fit). Now that I use more known name brands I can hunt through catalogs and find the best deals on blades. Of course I don't burn through more than a few sets a year.