1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blades, online or local?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProCut Lawn Care, Apr 7, 2007.

1. ProCut Lawn Care

ProCut Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Where do most of you buy blades? Online in Bulk or at your local dealer? I need to stock up for a scag and a toro.

If online where is the best place to get them? Or cheapest per blade?

2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

3 blades from my dealer would cost me almost $60.00. Online I can get the same ones for almost half that. Same goes for everything else. The only time I see my dealer now is for something that breaks in the field.
  3. DAV Mowers

DAV Mowers LawnSite Member

What happens when the "local" dealer goes out of business for lack of business???
  4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

This is true. I honestly find the aftermarket cheaper blades dont cut as well as the factory designed blades. I think they dull faster and wear out faster. Its worth it to me to buy factory original blades because 1-2 sets will last me all season.
  5. ProCut Lawn Care

I fully understand supporting the local guys as I do so quite frequently. Just wondering if you can get the actual OEM blades online anywhere or if 3 sets of cheapos equal 2 set of oem. The local dealer is high on blades.
  6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Most of our blades we get online. They last just as long as the ones from our local dealer. I also like getting things at the local dealer but everyone has to eat.
  7. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer sells me oregon blades instead of oem ones so I just buy them online. I have bought over $40,000 in equipment from this dealer and he tries to rip me off on all the little stuff. I keep quite the stock of parts, from blades to wheel motors and hydro pumps and I buy almost all of it online. I like working on my own stuff though.
  8. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Mowmore.com, Mowparts.com, J-thomas.com. Now go get your blades and belts for at least 50% cheaper - Buy Bulk
  9. ProCut Lawn Care

Thanks for the sites. Same here with the dealer he is by no means hurting for income from me, Just trying to watch the overhead.
  10. superclyde007

superclyde007 LawnSite Member
    from IN

There are only 2 or 3 manufactureres of all mower blades. Oregon (Frederick Manufacturing) is the largest. They make the majority of the OEM blades as well. I understand the need to watch expenses and I agree that everyone needs to eat. In most cases a dealer is only going to make at best a 15% - 20% gross margin on a commercial ZTR. Thatr does not include the cost of the lease or special financing, trade ins etc... That is gross profit also before any expenses are taken out. A dealer could easily need that kind of gross margin to break even on wholegoods.
    That only leaves parts, service and used equipment to make a living on. The dealer needs to make money in order to stay in business.
    As a commercial cutter we need the dealer to stay in business. I can't imagine that a dealer would not be interested in selling a cutter a quantity of blades, belts, maintenance parts etc... up front at some sort of discount.
    The next time one of your machines breaks down and you expect it fixed yesterday see if J. Thomas or any of the other discounters will fix it for you under warranty.