Blades seem to be slipping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sharpcutter, Jun 14, 2004.

1. sharpcutter

sharpcutter LawnSite Member

My mower blades will not stay in position. I lined them all up for maximum descharge, then off I go to mow. Now mind you everything was wet after three days of rain. I hear two blades underneath making that noise they make when the air flows against itself when the blade are out of alignment. So I stop, clean the deck and reposition the blades. I chalked this incident up to the heavy wet grass. OK. Go back to shop, service the mower, sharpen blades, clean deck and realign the blades. Now everything is dry. As soon as I engage the pto, the blades move out of alignment. I check the belt, and it feels kinda glazed. So I hit it with light sandpaper and used some belt dressing. Now the belt feels real grippy, but the same thing is happening. Do the blades always do this and I just never noticed this before, or should they stay where I put them??.

I dont think I am going crazy, and think they should stay put. The biggest problem is when the blades move, then the deck does not discharge as efficiently as it should.

WTF am I missing?? This is drving me nuts.

Any ideas, solutions???

2. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

no need to align the blades. they do not run in sync. At 26,000 rpms a blade, the grass will get out the chute

3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you are not crazy, just an idiot.

4. yourlawnguy

yourlawnguy LawnSite Member

Only mowers i know of with synchronised blades are John Deere 36" and Walker. The JD uses a cogged belt and Walkers are shaft drive. You are never gonna get the blades to stay in position with regular belts.

5. sharpcutter

Thats what I really like about this forum. We can all read the same old stories about our "dumb azz customers" and whine about how our day was, but when someone has a legitimate question about something, this is the kind of response that is generated.

Thanks specialtylc for the great help. If thats all you have to say, then keep your fuc**ng mouth shut.

I read a lot hear about some of the dumbest things that I have ever heard. I have read things that I thought, "what the heck is he asking that for?" But when you think about it, everyone starts somewhere and there is always room for learning and improvement. So then some of those questions dont seem so stupid anymore. I am simply taking for granted that I have already been there and done that.

I dont post here too much because it seems that a lot of people here really dont appreciated the other persons position or situation. I am not just speaking for myself, I have noticed this happening to other people. There have been many questions that go unanswered or have very few responses that seemed pretty important to that person. But we can all respond to another fantastic bobby story. Not bashing bobby, but what about everyone else.

I really enjoy reading through the threads that have some very knowledgeable and applicable responses, but that last comment just pushed me over the edge.

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

sharpcutter--perhaps it would be better if you explained how you know so much about mower-blade sounds, alignment, and such.

that way we could better understand whattinthehell you are talking about. thanks.

GEO

7. blackberry

blackberry LawnSite Member

Read less, cut more!!!!!!!!

8. sharpcutter

I have never owned a mower that had actually synched blades. But, I have always made it a practice th keep the blades lined up all in the same direction, foward. I have pissed around with blade positioning, and have found this to give the most discharge. I have always had the blades stay in that position. With a clean deck, my z deck makes a nice turbine like humm at full speed. Ok, that being said, the noise I was referring to, but did not explain well enough, is when the deck starts to plug up, and the air flow changes. It definately makes a very differently pitched humm. That is what caught my attention, and noticed that the three blades were in three different positions.

Like I said, no other mower that I have ever used and serviced seemed to do this, thats what got me thinking that maybe the belt was going bad and and not gripping the pulleys evenly. Possibly starting to turn one first, then lrtting the other two catch up. Even if this only hppened in a split second, it would be enough to move the blade positions. Having looked at some of my other equipment, all the deck belts are very tight, maybe thats why they never move.

I know my blades are not synched, but I thought they would at least stay lined up as when I put them back on. Thats what made me think something was wrong with my belt.

9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The way I read your post was that you are useing doubles and you can't get the blade bolts tight enough so when you engage the PTO the blades slip out of the + position. Simple soluition, use singal blades, its less wear and tear on the mower.

Gene

10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think he's using doubles, I think he's talking about lining up the blades so that they are starting in the same position in relation to each other.

Splitting hairs, I really don't think it makes a difference in discharge.

Don't worry about it.

Just keep your blades sharp and balanced.