Blades Sharpen Myself Or Not???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frosty_03, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

Just want to get some advice here. I have my blades sharpen by an lawnshop I get a good deal for a set of three, the guy charges me 1 dollar per blade. I was thinking about buying a balde sharpener and do them myself. What do you all think? I usually spend 21 dollars per week total of seven sets. What is a good brand of blade sharpener or should I just use a 4" grinding wheel. I like using this guy cause he does good and fast work. Thanks in advance.:cool: :blob2: My old man use a rasp or file and a nail in the wall and he use to get a nice sharp balance blade.
  2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a bench grinder a long time ago and do all my own blades. Much easier, especially since I go through blades faster than my equipment shop can sharpen them. My grinder only cost mabye $60. Thinking about buying a blade sharpener.

3. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just use a bench grinder because I can't afford a grinder.
  4. Duncan Lawn Care

Duncan Lawn Care LawnSite Member

1$ a blade? Wow!!!!!! Wish he lived here. You would probably spend about .40 cents a blade doing it yourself and replacing grinding wheels. Shops charge $5-$6 per blade here. I bought the Magna-Matic and I'm going to start sharpening other peoples blades for $3-$4 each. Going to try and make enough money to pay for the Magna-Matic and then do some advertising this winter and early next year to sharpen peoples blades and try and make some money in the off season.
  5. reelgrass92

reelgrass92 LawnSite Member

Doesn't take me but about 1 minute to sharpen a blade. I put my blade in a vise. I use a grinder, much more control than using a wheel. Doesn't take as long either.

Maybe I could think about a proffesion in sharpening blades at 3-4 bucks a blade, hehe.:D
  6. Frosty_03

Yea I am thinking about it, buying a sharpener, but I think I will stick with the lawn shop for know. I look at the magna and I think it was around 999.99 I guess if I bought it it would pay for itself in the long run. I figure about a year it should pay for itself. Well thank's guys once again some sound advice from tru professionals. :cool:
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Well, if it's costing you 21 bucks a wek, times 30 weeks, that's $630. Two seasons, it would be paid for. Sure, you have power to run it, and stone wear, but I can't see .40 cents worth. Consider this to counter it, also.... your drive time and fuel to the "mower shop" that sharpens them. That should be a major consideration. A buck a blade IS a good price, though.
  8. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, for a buck a blade I might let them continue. Shops here charge $5 per mulching blade and use an angle grinder. So much for that! I can use a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder and do as good a job. It just takes a little practice and you can turn them out in two or three minutes per blade, and you can buy top of the line angle grinders for less than $100.
  9. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

What is the best blade sharpener I can buy that isnt too expensive? I already have a bench grinder , but I was thinking about purchasing a blade sharpener that does more of a perfect edge. I can get kind of sloppy on my bench grinder sometimes. Thanks

10. Frosty_03

Runner and Hawkeye5 I think I will buy the Magna 1000 and your right runner about the drive time and all but it is on my way to my accounts so I don't mind and it give me time to stop and shoot the bull with the old guy. How do you guys make sure your blades are balance.:cool: