1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blades...someone explain this to me...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crazycritterguy, Apr 22, 2007.

1. crazycritterguy

crazycritterguy LawnSite Member

Ok...I'm not a pro...just my own 12 1/2 acre mini farm growing grass and rocks...mow it with a scag turf tiger ...27 koh, 61"....anyway, I understand the concept of mulching blades...I understand high lift.....but what, if any, difference do "wide" blades offer?
    Somebody "ej-a-ma-kate" me.
  2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Not sure, but I will guess. Maybe they will last longer. Meaning you can sharpen them more times. IDK.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Plus more vacum and lift.
  4. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

u grow rocks? coool.

ya, if the pitch is the same.. then they would esentially be wider fan blades = more lift.
  5. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

I have never heard of them, but my intrest is sparked now.
  6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

A wider blade will create more lift but they will also rob horsepower.
  7. crazycritterguy

crazycritterguy LawnSite Member

that there are actually people who will use the extra width of a "wide" blade to get more sharpenings out of it...seriously...the blade would have to be about 3/4" wide by the time it made any difference. The extra lift I can see...the robbing of HP I have just experienced...my TT will actually slow down a bit now in heavy grass...never did that before with regular blades.