1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blades...ten minutes allocated so far this year

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toroguy, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

So far this season I have spent 10 minutes maintaining, sharpening and replacing my blades on my Exmark WB. On May Ist I removed the mulching blades and micro mulch kit. I then installed a new set of Exmark Excalibur blades.

Today, two months or 405 residential lawns later, I removed the still decent excalibur blades, and replaced them with...you better believe it...excalibur blades!

The old blades had a few nicks in them, (I hit a softball...and yes, I think I would have made it to second base...) and I think they are good for another month? Not rounded or not dull!

Last season I sharpened blades every other day...this year 6 new blades has me out $60 a priceless trade. Blade grinders...HA!

I see no reason to sharpen a blade that maintains its edge.
  2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

but.......new blades aren't sharp. Yes, they have an edge, but not sharp.
  3. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Toroguy thats a first, i can't see anyone going a week without hitting or scraping something, Your the exception, i put on sharpened blades every-nite after scraping down my decks............Marks Mowing Service
  4. 50 lawns a week 405 cut in 2 months, on for 2 months, sorry but it wont work on my end.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Bi-weekly (highly unlikely with Spring growth), or approx. 25 per week. Where did the 50 a week come from?:D
  6. 405 < 8 weeks = 50.625
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What the heck was I thinking!!!:rolleyes: Out in left field, no doubt!:p
  8. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

The blades are not razor sharp from the factory, but the factory edge keeps its edge...when not put to the grinder or file. That is my theory of why the blade(s) do not dull as the ones I sharpen tend to on a every other day basis.

This was an experiment that I thought you could all try with no real side effects. If the blade dulls, well sharpen it.
  9. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Failed experiment equals more time I have to spend on a yard and more labor I pay. I'll just stick to my daily grinding.
  10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

what is the difference in the blades? Because I would like to know how to save myself about 2 hours everyweek sharpening.