Blades that have rusted

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Titans Fan, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

I have several blades, Exmark originals, that have started to rust. Is it o.k. to sharpen them and continue use. What can I do to stop them from rusting?

Thanks for your advice!

2. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Rusty blades, Smusty blades.

Honestly, blades that have rust (surface rust), I just sharpen and throw on. The first time you hit the pto and cut, it should come right off.

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Remember one thing. Rust is skin deep. Rock nicks are bone deep.
    Mower blades are soft on the inside, so they will bend and not break. But they are case hardened on the outside surface to maintain an edge better. I do not know how deep the case hardening goes, but is probably about 30 thousanths of an inch deep. That is a pretty thin skin over a big bone.

4. TREEGUARD

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

Just take a painters 5in1 tool scrap all the rust & whatever crap might have built up on them & sharpen them bam good as new. Blades are going to rust. they get wet just don't hit anything I have blades that are 5 or 6 years old good as the day they were bought.

5. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Wire brush the heavy rust off, Fluid Film them after sharpening, take two salt pills, and press on.

6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Use a wire wheel attached to your grinder to remove rust. After you sharpen blades, if they aren't going right back on the mowers use a little spray paint on the new edge to keep it from rusting.:cool2:

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I throw a little spray paint on them after sharpening and they're good to go. Tony

8. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

After sharpening, I hit them with wd-40. Done.

9. bj1bmx

bj1bmx LawnSite Member
    from NJ

why bother doing all of this work? theyre steel blades, when they get wet, they rust...

just sharpen them and the rust will no longer be there. put them on the mower and go to work.

10. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

just don't perform surgery with em and you'll be okay:nono: