Blades touching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, May 19, 2002.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

For about a week now, I've been hearing a noise under my deck that sounded like the blades were hitting the deck. But they weren't. Today I chage the blades and still heard the noise. It turns out that the blades sometimes touch each other. One of my helpers must have hit something to bend the deck or the spindle shaft.

2. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Does it cut different or scalp at all because if not the spindle might of moved instead of bending,one of my scags did this and when I took it in to be serviced the mechanic said that the spindle moved and it wasn't bent so he loosened the bolts on the spindle and put a piece of wood against it and hit it with a hammer to move it back to its original spot. I didn't think the spindles could be moved but he said that they all have a little play in them just for this reason. I would of never of guessed that you could do this but he did and it has been perfect ever since.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You could also have spindle bearings going out, but then you should be getting a lot of vibration if that is happening.:(

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Bob,

What brand of mower?

Factory Blades? Or aftermarket?

Blades hitting each other, or blades hitting deck baffles?

If the spindle mounting portion of your deck is bent enough to make your blades touch, your cut will be real crappy. Is this the case?

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

The mower is a Grasshopper 725 G2, with a 61 deck. The spindle bearings are almost new. The cut is still perfect. I'm using Gator Magnums. It's definitely not the blades- both sets hit. It's the chute side blade and the center blade. I'm going to check the spindle assembly like P & J Lawn said.

6. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Just make sure you dont hit it directly with the hammer because of damage you could to the housing.

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Now that you mentioned it is a Grasshopper , it reminds me that one of my friends caught a deck baffle on the lip of his trailer as he backed down the ramp. This caused the baffle to deform a little and his blades began hitting against it. He did not realize he had done this until he got under the deck and saw the baffle was bent. It does not take much of a bend to cause blades to hit deck baffles. I caught the head of the blade spindle bolt on my trailer ramp and bent the bolt so the blade wobbled and hit the deck. Check out these two possibilities.:)

8. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

For about a week now, I've been hearing a noise under my deck.................Good Lord man, lets hope you never hear a knock in the engine!!!

9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

You didn't say what machine you have. However, my Hustler WB has the blade clearance extremmly close to avoid any possibility of streaking in a turn. I had one new blade that was a 1/16" inch longer on one side and "would" hit the other blade every minute or so. The reason for intermittent hitting is the pulley for each spindle are not the exact same size, and after running for that time the blade edges would "sync" with each other and hit for about one second, then they would go out of sync til the next time.
    Just line up each blade with each others tip and you will have your answer.......
    Pete

10. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

The ONLY time I had this happen was when the bearings were out. And then every time they hit, big time KA CHING, broken bolts. By the way this P O S was not mine, was a place I was working like 12 years ago.