1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blades -- What's Best Way to Sharpen Baldes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Approach, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Approach

Approach LawnSite Member

I bought a 52" Lesco Hydro. It has 3 blades.

Question 1) What's the best way to sharpen each blade? Should I buy an electric grinder?

Question 2) Sometimes I take my blades to a Lawn Mower Shop to be sharpened. They always do a great job. Please describe how the lawn mower shop sharpens blades? Do they have a special machine? Is there a special adapter to hold each blade steady while it's being sharpened? Or does the technician Eye-Ball how much to shave off?

2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

sometimes i use a bench grinder, other times i put them in a vice and use a disc grinder/sander if they are real bad with alot of nicks. when your done you need to put them on a balancer. they are like $5.00 at most dealers, they look like an upside down ice cream cone teddering on a pin so one side will sink if its uneven. the side that sinks i grind right off the side of the blade. if you dont balance them the stripes are wavey and have each blade making its own line. you shave them down until you get a good sharp edge, hold the angle the same while doing it. if the bottom is roughed up sometimes i sharpen the bottom a tiny bit
  3. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

If you use the search function, you'll find volumes of info on this.