Blades won't engage.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Dunn's, May 12, 2008.

1. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

So I was using the back up 52' walk behind ferris DD hydro and stop it for a second and then when I went to re-engage the blades they wouldn't.

Now here is the fun part it has actually had a problem with this for awhile but we always left it because when it was sitting on the trailer at a job. It would be hard for someone to use it if they stole it.

So what we always did was just squeeze the wiring harness together to make it tighter and it would the blades would start right up you only needed one hand and it only took a second. But now it is not working at all.

Any ideas from anyone on what it could be. So when I am working on it tommorrow night I can check that as well.

Thank in advance for any help or ideas.

2. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

Just worked on a Deere tonight that the clutch would not engage. Found a engine mount bolt missing where the clutch is to be grounded to. Replaced bolt, reattached ground and wha-lah, clutch works. Check for a possible bad ground for the clutch.

3. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Intermittent connections don't tend to get better! It's probably arced enough that the contacts are oxidized/eaten away.