1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

blades won't kick in

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by SMBUDDY46, Mar 20, 2004.

1. SMBUDDY46

SMBUDDY46 LawnSite Member

i just recently bought a mini z went home tried to use it and the blades won't engage. what do you think? i know i will have to take it back to have it looked at but i thought i would just ask you.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Thats weird.
    I would start by making sure the fuse is good, but if it is blown there is a reason for it.
    Does the engine die when you engage the pto switch ? or does it just not turn on the blades ?
    It could be a couple of things.
    Like you said, best thing is to take it back to the dealer ASAP and they will take care of it for you.

3. icatcher

icatcher LawnSite Member

Also make sure the chain is engaged for where you can attach the blower. I had my chain come loose and I didn't notice it, I looked at the belts, etc, then realized the chain had come loose and the belts weren't gettin tension.
  4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Its most likely something simple like a loose wire, etc. I ran a Hustler Z once and if I remember the handle had to be put in the drive mode before the blades would engage. Or was that a different brand. Did you read the manual?