blades won't start up

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by bluegate, May 2, 2004.

1. bluegate

bluegate LawnSite Member
    from 27312

Hi. I've put in about 40 glorious hours on my exmark with no problems and yesterday I started up the mower fine but when I pulled the knob to start the blades, I just got a >>>thunk>>> sound, then no blade action.
    what's up?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Bluegate,

It's tough to say for sure but I'd look at the blade belt and the electric clutch. Often when a belt breaks or is thrown off the pulley it will make loud noise.

If the belt is broken or if it is off the pulleys I would try to determine what caused it. We don't have many issues with belts so I always recommend performing a through inspection of the pulleys to make sure not are bent or have debris compacted into the "V". Also the spring loaded deck idler should be inspected. If the belt is off or broken you should be able to remove the spring from the idler arm. The idler arm pivot should be free from roughness or drag when you pivot it back and forth. If it is not you should unbolt it and clean the bushing with emery cloth, re-install and grease it.

If the problem is the belt it is possible that a stick of some other debris caused the belt to be thrown so if you don't find anything I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I would also look at the electric clutch. I haven't heard of one in several years but it is possible a clutch strap could come loose or break. The clutch strap is a cable or flat steel strap that mounts to the clutch and the frame (the strap on current models mounts to the engine) and keeps the clutch from spinning when the PTO is engaged. If you can't find anything you may want to have the mower inspected by your Exmark dealer.

Give me a call and let me know what you find. You can reach me at 800-667-5296.

Thanks,

Terry

3. Mackado

Mackado LawnSite Member

Check under the deck. Dried grass buildup will stop your blades.

4. bluegate

bluegate LawnSite Member
    from 27312

thanks for your help.