1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

blades won't undo

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawn6@bigpond, Aug 8, 2005.

1. lawn6@bigpond

lawn6@bigpond LawnSite Member

Hi Guy's
    Have a MTD 38" cut that someone has used locktight on the blade nuts , Have treid to undo with impac air gun , heated it and still can't undo it any ever had this problem before what will desolve locktight? :help:
  2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

heat it with small propane torch.......then try to loosen it......careful.....it's hot!
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If this is a newer unit you may want to remove the top pulley nut and slide the shaft and blade out of the housing before heating, This will prevent bearing damage. The only way I know of is plenty heat and a large torque impact !
  4. lawn6@bigpond

lawn6@bigpond LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help will try it again, I guess they are right hand threaded nut?Or are they left hand ? :D
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Had a simular problem with one of my mowers. I got a pipe about 4 feet long, and slide it over the end of the wrench ,to get extra torque - it worked!
  6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

They are lefty-lucy & righty-tighty !
  7. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Impact tools work a lot better when the base is firm. If you are just holding the blade by hand; try blocking it up nice and solid.

Also try twisting the socket with your hand while using the impact, it helps get a solid hit.

As mentioned before: no heat around bearings, especially sealed ones.
  8. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

This is how Ive always loosened them if the impact wont work.
  9. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

What is it with people wanting to 'weld' there mower blades on for? Last week we had one that my 500 pound air gun would not move at all. It ended up taking 3 people (two to hold the deck) and a breaker bar AND a 4 foot pipe. I have had to cut the nut off the spindle before. You take a great risk of messing up the threads and trashing the spindle when you are forced to cut but sometimes you have no other way out.
  10. Four C. Landscaping

Four C. Landscaping LawnSite Member

knowing MTD it is probably lefty tightey righty loosen! :dizzy: