Blades!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Signature Landscaping1, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

All last year i brought my mower in to get the blades sharpened and balanced. But this year im not goin to do that any more. Can i use a regular bench grinder to sharpen blades, or should i bring the blades, to my dealer down the street to have them sharpen them? Would i need to buy a special grinding wheel for it? Im am planning on buying a bunch of sets of blades for the 06' season, what types of blades should i get- high lift, mulching?
    and one more should i buy a balancer??

2. Signature Landscaping1

from Mass

should i go to the dealer to buy new blades, or order them out of mowmore.??

3. you can do them with the grinder you mentioned just fine, while you got time off this winter , take some old blades and practice sharpeming them.

4. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I use an 8" bench grinder. It is hard to get the right pitch, but after lots of practice, I have become pretty good at it. I am however going to buy a blade grinder this spring. Not sure what kind, but I know everyone on here seems to love theirs.

5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I use a 4 1/2" hand held angle grinder with a flextron fiber disc for the Pearl Abrasive Company. They absolutely do not burn the metal, and cut like crazy - no vibration - just smooth passes.

6. Signature Landscaping1

from Mass

sounds good, yea i have some old blades i can practice on, and i could try to use my angle grinder also.
    But how many sets of blades should i get??? what types, ans should i get a balancer?
    Thanks

7. JLL25

JLL25 LawnSite Member

If you want to save some time and have a more versatile tool I would suggest buying a bench vice with at least a 3' jaw opening, and a portable angle grinder you'd probably pay less than $150 total. The angle grinder is much less expensive than a bench grinder and some reach rpm's of 11,000per minute where as a bench probably wouldnt exceed 4,000 rpm's. We shaved the time on blade sharpening in a third, plus if you plow snow like we do then you have to maintain your plows which includes grinding off rust and repainting. If you went with an angle grinder I suggest buying the wire brush head in addition (maybe $15 at the most) for removing rust on your plow(s) and other equipment.

8. Signature Landscaping1

from Mass

I already have a bench grinder, and an 4 1/2" angle grinder
    Thanks for the advice JLL ill have to put it to the test This weekend.
    Should i get a balencer also?

9. Spratz86

Spratz86 LawnSite Member

The blades need to be balanced, but you can do it without a balancer. Use a vertically driven nail, place a drop of oil on the top of the nail, and hang your blade on it.

10. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Why not a magna-matic blade balancer.