1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brawnyrebel, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Brawnyrebel

Brawnyrebel LawnSite Member

Here is a picture of a blade off my 52" tt. The dealer i bought it off of( used) said it had a good set of mulching blades on it. Its obviously shot but is it even a mulching blade?
  2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

it doesn'y look like a mulch blade, it has too much lift as i see from this angle. maybe some sort of all purpose blade?
  3. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

The mulching blades I have on my Phazer look similar to that one, but it's not completely flat..

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like a after market high lift.
  5. Brawnyrebel

This one is not flat. It is just the angle of the picture. I have a set of gator blades ordered so hopefully that will help the cut. As you can imagine it did not cut well with these blades on it
  6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

That is a cheap aftermarket medium lift blade. Notice how thin the metal is. Also, whoever sharpened it didnt have a clue what he was doing.
  7. Brawnyrebel

it looks like they sharpened it with their feet. I have never sharpened one but i think i could do a little better than that
  8. PowerEquipmentWarehouse

PowerEquipmentWarehouse LawnSite Member

You used to be able to tell a mulching blade from a regular blade by looking at how much of the blade was sharpened. A discharge blade was only sharpened about 2" in from the ends. Mulching blades were sharpened much farther, allowing more of the blade chop the grass. Anymore, it is difficult to tell. Most discharge blades are also sharpened farther and usually the "lift" or "sail" is the clue. Some mulch blades are also curved along the length. but still sharpened along the curves. The ones you pictured, (outside of having a horrible sharpening job) are probably discharge blades because of the lift. I think you will be quite happy with the gators, they make a great replacement blade....Mike
  9. Brawnyrebel

Thanks mike it is always nice to hear a vote of confidence for a product i'm waiting on instead of the usual " those blades are junk"