Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wintergreenlawn&landscape, May 6, 2008.

1. wintergreenlawn&landscape

wintergreenlawn&landscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

I understand that Meg Mo feels that they have the solution to all of our mowing concerns, specifically clumping, cut and rate of discharge. My question is to them, why dont million dollar companies such as Toro and Scag develop and utilize this type of technology on their machines? Why do these companies manufacture $8-10K machines utilizing industry standard high lift blades. I have to say, before I started my own business, I tested these blades on an exmark and I dont feel they are worth the cost. That exmark cut horribly in wet grass with both Meg mo and High lifts. There was absoutely no difference other then I had to slow way down with the Meg Mo's. Mowing with either high lift or gator blades is both efficient and cost effective.

2. I figure these mowers are designed to mow in different conditions all around the world. Often something will work in local conditions that will improve results.
    From what I've read on here Mega-Mows seem more popular in the drier western states.
    That's why it's pretty important to post your location on this forum.

3. wintergreenlawn&landscape

wintergreenlawn&landscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

Why would one need special blades to cut dry grasses?

4. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

I know I'm tired of seeing Meg Mo respond about their blades every time someone has a blade question here. I would never pay that much for blades. Their blades are not a miracle blade that can do everything well. If they did, Im sure everyone would be constantly talking about them and buying them. And that is just not happening. They need to find ways to advertise their product somewhere else like all the other reputable companies do instead of being like a little kid and begging people to try their products on these forums.

5. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I seen these blades only on a web site -- never in person. Looks like with 4-blades on each spindle and with only 23 HP on my mower I'd be way underpowered in heavy wet grass .

I made a set of absolutely straight blades to use when the grass is high and wet and these work just fine. As usual when I mentioned these one time some naysayers said without the foil they won't lift up the grass.

Well tall grass doesn't need lifting up . It needs cutting down and these blades work OK.

Nosmo

6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I use Meg-mos mainly for leaves......they have their place.....I run them with 23hp no problem.......