Blades?!?!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by CCA Green Services, Jul 15, 2013.

1. CCA Green Services

CCA Green Services LawnSite Member

Hi guys, I been wonder if anyone seen or heard of stainless steel mower blades??? If so, who sale them...:confused:

2. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Stainless blades of the grade that would hold an edge would likely be very expensive.

3. twomancrew

twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member

Stainless is not all that you prol think it is. It has a terrible sheer factor. If stainless gets rubbed on it goes to crap. Also it is a lot weaker than what you prolly think it is. Low grades rust. High grades are only good for prettying things up or hospitals and kitchens. A stainless blade would stress crack or bend in seconds and if you could get a temper on it, well then any grit you mow up would totally erode the blade. And it would still prolly break. Take a quality stainless bolt and nut and tighten them down to torque. Now try it again with the same bolt and nut(hint: the threads tear when you loosen the nut and have to replace both) Not 301 stainless nuts from lowes, quality stainless hardware. Mower blades are like spring steel, made from stress relieved or annealed carbon steel. Well IDK about those Oregon blades, I think they make those out of cotton balls.

4. nashlawn01

nashlawn01 LawnSite Senior Member

Who the hell cares if blades are stainless or not. My blades are shiny when I change em. Hard for them to rust when they are used daily

5. CCA Green Services

CCA Green Services LawnSite Member

Thanks Guys for all your input and comments...:clapping: