1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chefdrp, Jun 29, 2003.

1. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

How often do you guys sharpen your blades. And do you take them to a dealer?
  2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I sharpen rotary blades every day. Get yourself a blade grinder, save yourself some money in the long run.

I have a neary.

shop 004.jpg
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we were doing it every 2 days, but because of the dry conditions & sandy soil we have been doing it every day
  4. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on the conditions, Some of the lawns I do are very rough on the blades, sandy, real dry, Sharpen daily or change in the field.. I try to do my good lawns first then do the less than good lawns with the same blades. I have several sets of blades I keep ready.. Hope this helps..

Lou :cool:
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, my GOD!

I'm so sorry to hear that!

Congratulations, you have the worlds WORST blade sharpener! I had the EXACT same one and the only good thing about it is I only took a $50 hit when I sold it!

Your almost better off with a hand file.

If you like it, great. This would sell great on Ebay to all those that don't know how bad they are. Then you can buy a Fireball or Magnamatic and see just HOW much a POS the Neary is.

Don't take this personally, RV. OK?! ;)
  6. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

None taken...I picked it up for $150 at an auction. Personally I think it works great???? But one dis is that you can't get the same angle on both sides of the blade....will figure that out though.
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Its also a gutless wonder at only 1/2 hp.

Its also only good for sharpening 5" of an edge, as the rear towers stop full sharpening.

Its also amazingly slow at 1750 RPM.

And adjusting angle was a little more ivolved than it should be.

With no way of dressing the stone (diamond dresser) the wheel gets loaded pretty quick.

With only paying that much, you should PROFIT from selling it on Ebay!

Buyer beware!
  8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Please consider using the search function on this site, use keywords like;
    You will find hours of reading pleasure already posted on this subject. :)
  9. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Change blades daily, Fireball Jr takes care of sharpening. Local dealer charges $7 per blade for sharpening & balancing I would have to figure it out but a guess would be that the commercial grinder is close to having paid for itself.
  10. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Where can you find this fireball blade sharpener?