1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by charlies, Mar 14, 2004.

1. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

how often do you guys sharpen blades? and before some of you blast me with the 'do a search you newbie loser' i went through 3 pages of search on sharpening blades before i gave up. last season we sharpened them nearly every day (by the way, that is ALOT of blades for us). but i am thinking that if they don't hit anything and if the weather is not bad, we should be good for at least 2-3 days, maybe a week. what i would really like to do is change that item on the daily maint. schedule from change blades to check blades and move change blades to the weekly maint. schedule. what do you all think?
  2. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I sharpen after 2 days of cutting, just a quick touch up. In my sandy area I doubt I could get more than say 15 hours of cutting before the blades get very dull.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

usually about every 2 days. Sometimes I can get away with 3, but now very often
  4. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

We used to use Exmark Vikings and they would scalp alot and force us to sharpen blades every week or so (if you didn't the cut would start to get bad).....Ever since we switched to Exmark Turf Tracer HPs
    (floating decks)....we can go months before sharpening blades....Sometimes I feel guilty and look at the blades but most of the time they are fine unless you accidentally hit something (sometimes even a tree branch if large enough will mess up the sharpness of the blade)....but if only cutting grass it takes along time to dull blades bad enough to warrant sharpening....
  5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I sharpen every 2 weeks whether they need it or not. The push mowers are the worst. Damn employees try to chop up ,rocks,curbs,man hole covers , etc.
  6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

with the lco i work for, every 4-5 days. we cut about 9 hrs a day.
  7. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

I have to change blades after about four hours of mowing here in north Texas. The sand and clay kills the blades fast. The blades wear out in two weeks. The lift part is gone real fast.
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Here in the northeast, I sharpen everyday. Some times i put new sharpened blades on in the middle of the day. Sharp blades cut better, faster.
  9. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

We sharpen at 60 hr.
  10. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

Meg mo, I found these blades in Turf Magazine:

Design looks similar to yours, but it has 3 blades instead of 4... any input?