blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowerboy04, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

has anyone out there heard about running two blades on each spindle? and if so dose it improve the cut? and is it worth running two blades? thanks

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

do you mean like 4 blades instead of 2 or 6 blades instead of 3???

GEO :)

3. Mowerboy04

no, like stack to blades on top of eachother per spindle so there would be 6 blades on the deck insted of 3

4. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

it is called running doubles. I assume you would want to try this because of the situation listed in your other post.

Well, as i said, i am also getting a shitty cut. I tried running doubles this past week (first time ever)...IT SUCKS.. I have a 19 horse and it would bog down in standard growth, and just make a mess. Didnt improve the cut at all!

Trevor

5. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on what blade configuration you want to run. Also whether or not you have sufficient horsepower.

6. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I run double high lifts on my 25 HP 54’’ deck walk-behind and they work great! But you have to have enough engine to run them.

7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, it definately depends on the blades you use, and the amount of Hp you have.. My 52"/ 22hp machine cut beautiful with double high lifts... But the 22 couldn't really swing em'.. I may try again when I get my Raptors in... We'll see.

8. Mowerboy04

just to let you guys know i run a bobcat 219 with a 19hp engin and i have a 52in cut.

9. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I use meg mos on my scag and love 'em. they don't use as much hp as doubles.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I run doubles on my 60" Dixie Chopper and love them. I did find that using doubles with the factory sized blades did tax the engine quite a bit in heavy grass so I changed up a little. I run the factory 20.5" blade on the bottom and a 17" blade on the top. This works great!