Blah! And I thought I was scrub proof!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NewbieOwner, Jun 12, 2002.

1. NewbieOwner

NewbieOwner LawnSite Member
    from Alberta

Well what a piss-off day!

I was thinking I was pretty well scrub proof... I'm doing the best work in town, I've got the highest price in town (and I constantly remind my customers of that)

Go to mow todays route, and one street (5 clients) had all been HACKED down... Went up to talk to the customers, "Well So and So is only charging me 15$" I look at the lawn, cut with a side discharge 21" mower (from 3.25" to 1.5" I'm sure you can imagine the clumps) my beautiful triming was masacred... "Yep, and that's about what you get for 15$ I'll take it as you're cancelling. See you next season. By the way if you choose to come back at any point, and make your way to the top of the waiting list, you won't get your current rate of 48$, our new rate for your yard is 62$"

One lady told me the new guy is doing a way better job! I just about died laughing, I just pointed to the 4'x16' missed patch beside her house... The scalps allover her back yard were quite amusing too! I could only laugh and say "Wait until next week, I suggest you water heavily, in this heat, with the amount he cut off, your lawn will be lucky to survive the month"

Although one customer had a legitimate point, She wasn't happy with the lines from the exmark (she prefered the 21" stripes, made her yard look bigger)

Ah well, I signed up 5 people on my waiting list... All would be happy with either mower (21 or 36") The days looking up!

Andrew

2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I too have been the target of bare faced lies like this. For people like that, I would raise their price WAY up, higher than you did. My guess is that when these newbies get tired of working in the sun, or what ever the newest excuses are for not showing up, they will be calling you back.
    And I don't think I would take them. I have WAY too many people that WANT me to come to their house to mow, to allow time in the short day for losers.

3. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I find it interesting that after these lawns do die off they will call you back and expect it to green up within a week or 2! Oh well just replace them with another more deserving customer and move on.

4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I assume you don't have your customers on contracts? I can't imagine my customers hiring someone else, having them mow and not call, that's the good thing about having things paid in advance.

5. NewbieOwner

NewbieOwner LawnSite Member
    from Alberta

Actually, they are on contract, and they are all paid in advance. I get 2 weeks of pay out of them for their stupidity... As they say, It's all good... Add to that 5 new customers (at my higher rate) and I'm not going to argue... They chose to hire another contractor, I can't be bothered worrying about it

My smallest waiting list has 22 names (I have 4 lists, based on area) I had no problem filling the openings in my schedule!

Andrew

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Actually that just confirms what I'd always thought. 90% of customers don't care what their lawn looks like when it is done. All they know is the grass is cut and they didn't have to do it.

8. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just curious about the people on your waiting list. What are they doing for lawn care while they're waiting?

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Your constantly reminding them your "I'm doing the best work in town, I've got the highest price in town (and I constantly remind my customers of that) ". Maybe they just don't like the attitude so they had no respect. Being new, your still learning. Be humble, it carries a lot farther and people will repect you enough to keep you and/or call you before you show up.
    Just my thoughts from the initial post.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's like, whenever I get compliments from the customers on how nice their lawn looks, or how much they like it, I always say, "Well, THANK you!" Almost as if I'm surprised.:)