Blanket Apps. with Talstar Fertilzer Combo

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HydroRI, Oct 11, 2005.

1. HydroRI

HydroRI LawnSite Member

I have always practiced IPM but this year was a tough year on my lawns. Since I am only at my customers lawns 5 or 6 times a year 6-8 weeks apart there can be some pretty extensive damage can occur in that time. I tell all my customers service calls are free of charge with my program. For some reason they don't call but when you get there they point out problems. The biggest problems I saw this year were sod webworm and Chinch Bug Damage.

I explained that I need to treat when the problem is first noticed. Sometimes this damage is mistaken as drought stress. Unless you get right down and inspect. One customer said they used to use the Scotts 4 step and the summer app had the summer guard that treated for surface insects. I explained that as a trained professional we use chemicals when absolutely necessary.

My question is do any of you Licensed applicators use a fertilizer/Bifenthrin combo on your summer app?

I understand the product is more money and you will be killing beneficial insects. Why does Scotts use this as a combo?

2. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

was a season for webworm and chinch bugs for sure.

I do believe that the lawns we treat with Merit for grub control have not had any chinch bug damage so the claims Merit makes about surpressing the chinch population seem to be true. Of course Merit does nothing for webworm. Most new accounts this season had chinch bug problems.

I also believe those days of blanket apps of surface insect control is gone. Not since dursban have we made a blanket app.

we, like you, encourage our customers to call us, they are our watch dog. Like you, some never call and when we show up....what would have been a very easy fix is now damaged to the point of renovation.

Heres what we do....if we get a service call, or if we are on the property doing an app and discover surface feeders we treat them at no charge. We treat populated areas of the lawn.
    If we did not get a call and we show up to a damaged lawn, we quote a price for a curative control and a price for the reno.

3. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

The chinch bug and billbug populations and damage here have gotten so bad that frankly, IPM is out the window for me next year. Anyone who lets me will get both a Merit application and a surface insect spray (not at the same time). You are right, alot can happen in the 6 weeks you are not there and this summer was not a pretty one. Due to the cool wet seasons we've had the last couple years, very few took my grub and insect program. I think almost everyone will go for it next year.

4. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I hear next year Lesco will offer fert/merit with Talstar or some type of other surface insecticide as a complete combo. I will be using it on my properties if cost effective.

5. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i am ipm 100%,but this summer it bit me in the rump.
    we are adding a surface feeding inscet control app. next yr. to my program to all full sun lawns and that app. will be done starting 7/1.

and you guys are right about lawns that got the merit app. seemed to have no damange to chinch or web worm damanmge.

that tal star and merit combo seems interested..
    ant

6. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

It's called Allectus: an imidacloprid and bifenthrin combination.

It's around $75.00 for a 50 lb bag of 22-0-8, 22-5-11 or 17-0-17 at my Lesco. Was due to come out earlier but the label was recalled for some error in the wording.

7. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info. The dealer told me a month ago and forgot the name.

8. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I was looking into it the other day due to the problems this year. If my math is right, according to my prices, it will run about about 20 dollars less per bag by having everything together. Plus the labor saving by having 3 applications completed with one pass.

9. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

There is another benefit to having all three. You will make more money. If you charge for your insect application, your spring grub control, and your fertilization application then you will make money and never drag a hose or spread three times. I can see some big numbers here on the profit side.