1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Blasted Necrotic Ring Spot

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Aug 7, 2011.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

This disease is so frustrating.

I have one customer (mowing and app) that has a perennial problem with this disease. He lives in a newer subdev, sodded KBG over clay, and in a wooded area. Lawn is probably 4-5 years old.

I started dealing with this issue last season. I aerated twice, put down an app of Heritage last fall (Oct) and then again late May this season (right after aerating). I plan to aerate again this Sept/Oct.

The disease still cropped up pretty strong this July with the scorching temps and humidity. Frustrating to say the least, and my customer has e-mailed wondering what is going on. At least I have informed him that it is not an easy issue to deal with, and it may take a number of years.

My question is, what else can I do? I have read some about the application of a straight Milorganite fert app, any comments on the efficacy of that proposition? Any other thoughts? Can this disease even be beaten back, or am I leading the customer on (unintentionally)?

2. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

re-seed with a more resistant kbg?

3. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

not sure how you put your fungicide down, but i personally got much better results with spectator at max rate and 2 gallons per k instead of one like i do with everything else

4. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

Ict npp will knock it down.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

The sod farm could have used better seed, but didn't. The sod farm could have avoided selling sod from an infested part of the field--but didn't. Customer could have got better sod--maybe.
    First, simple thing, is to get new rolls of sod (top quality) and cut the bad spots out square and patch with new pieces of sod. Cut to fit and water. Takes about 5 minutes per spot.

Second, scratch it up thoroughly, and overseed with a high-quality disease resistant seed. You want a Kentucky bluegrass and top perennial rye mixture. Use plenty of seed (about 10 times more than needed, you don't want to do this twice). The bluegrass seldom takes well, but the rye will fill it in--and it is not affected by Necrotic ring spot. A top-quality rye will not match perfectly, but you have to get real close to tell the difference.

http://www.pickseed.com/usa/Products/PDF/moon_shadow_ts.pdf
    Moon shodw has excellent resistance. Granite from Pickseed is also good.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  6. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

using a good rye is another thing the osu extension recommends for this issue

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

I should have mentioned we did overseed last Sept. Slice seed job with primarily TTTF (and a small amount of good quality KBG). The seeding took very well.

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

what does this mean?

9. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

It will kill it. Don't trust me call bill at Ict we used 12 gallons this year at lawns look great
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest