Blasted Necrotic Ring Spot

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Aug 7, 2011.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

What cultural practices would help prevent Necrotic Ring Spot? What sort of eco-system would favor the growth of beneficial fungi vs the pathegen?? I wouldn't exclude developing a healthy turf in favor of a quick fix...

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

axe, valid point. What I know and what others have told me: aerate/aerate/aerate (doing), introduce disease resistant KBG and fescues/rye (did last fall, complete overseed), don't overstimulate with N (check, low amount of N comparatively added thus far this season), judiciously use herbicides (only one spray round done, will be for entire season), mow high (I mow this lawn at 3"). Another thing I can think of, eliminate areas in lawn where water can pool and collect - this will require some serious renovation/regrading and I will avoid this if possible merely because my cust will not want to pay for this.

So, I am doing most of what I can I feel. I have read some on the use of organics to combat this. May try Milorganite for Labor Day app and check into that ICT product.

Thanks everyone for the input!

4. countryclublawnllc

countryclublawnllc LawnSite Member

I've had the best success using one of the organic type fertilizers at a 1lb. N/1000 rate. Try a Ringers or similar and you should see some good results.

John

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Good thought...I'll check that out or was thinking Milorganite.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Pulling this back up. I ordered 1-2-3 NPP from ICT organics tonight and plan to use on a few NRS infected lawns when the weather gets warmer. Fingers are crossed.

7. EquityGreen

EquityGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Let me know if this worked for you last year. The aerating and overseeding. I have a few lawns that I aerated and have slit seeded in the past with excellent results.

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Yes I slice seeded an infected NRS lawn last season with good results. The frog eye spots are not so nearly evident. The problem is the disease keeps flaring up every year. That is where the ICT product comes in.

9. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

quality you're gonna love I c t we applied to a property 2 years ago last year it is never looked better
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. RodneyK

RodneyK LawnSite Senior Member

Had same issue with Kbg sod on clay. Used Clearys 3336 in the fall a couple years ago. Issue did not return. Also continued aeration. Do not understand why people want to slit seed in fescues and rye into Kbg stands. I understand to strengthen stand against disease etc. but what a waste. Why heinz 57 up the stand? Must have been a crappy Kbg sod mix to start.