Blasted Necrotic Ring Spot

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Aug 7, 2011.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Good point but I am certain it is not pure KBG sod. Likely a good dose of Per Rye in there as well. It was already Heinz 56.......albeit cheap crap.

2. Brown & Co.

Brown & Co. LawnSite Member

if its a repeating problem... and in a small area can you just cut it out and renovate it? Are you sure your treating for the right thing?

3. RodneyK

RodneyK LawnSite Senior Member

I remembered on the Clearys 3336 that it was two apps three weeks apart at high rate in the fall that did it for me. But this lawn also gets preventative fungicide treatments throughout year.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

There's good money in treating the symptoms, but very little to be made if the disease itself was cured...

The Squirt&Fert business, is a lot like the Medical Profession... :)

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

There are spots throughout the lawn, that are magnified when the hot July weather hits (disease flares up). Yes it is confirmed NRS.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Retired now. But...it is a good idea to ask where the sod came from. You will eventually get an idea of which sod farm is infested. If you find a top-quality sod farm--resod the spots--or--resod the whole thing with top-quality disease resistant sod. The newer seed cultivars are much better.

7. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

DA,

What is the P.H. of this clients water?

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DK, he is on a different city water system than I am.
    Why do you ask? He doesn't water his lawn at all.

9. Smallaxe

http://www.extension.umn.edu/projects/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/p324necrotic-ring-turf.html
    "...The fungus survives winter in infected plant material. The disease is spread by plant to plant contact or mechanically with lawn equipment. The fungus becomes active during cool, wet periods in the spring and again in the fall. Grass sheaths and roots are infected and eventually killed...."

10. Smallaxe

Also from the site:
    "... Necrotic ring spot frequently occurs on two- to five-year-old sodded lawns and is especially prevalent in vigorously growing lawns. These lawns often develop a thick thatch layer, which stimulates fungal growth. Necrotic ring spot is also common in lawns that have layered soil; one to two inches of topsoil laid down over hard compacted native soil, but not mixed together. This effect produces a lawn with shallow roots and poor drainage. "